Honda Goldwing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
It's 6:45 a.m. and somewhere just south of Poughkeepsie, NY me thinks I hear the low growl of a Wing starting up for the ride to my place for an oil change and a hardy welcome before he takes off tomorrow for Key West. Mike, if your reading this I will leave the oil, filter, drain pan and wrench in the usual place in case I get stuck somewhere and I'm later than usual.
It is 7:40 and I'm still loading up the bike to get over to the cemetary, so I'm expecting I won't be home until 3:00 or so. I'll head over your way once I get the laundry running and the cat figures out who I am. hehe

·
Premium Member
23,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It is 7:40 and I'm still loading up the bike to get over to the cemetary, so I'm expecting I won't be home until 3:00 or so. I'll head over your way once I get the laundry running and the cat figures out who I am. hehe
I have a side job this evening in the Burke area. If you not expecting to be here until 6:00 or so I'll push the side job time up earlier and hit it after I'm done my regular day.

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts
I'm almost tired from reading about the ride. Keep on keeping on.

·
Administrator
25,912 Posts
Hang in there Rapier! Yikes Chopin, I thought you were plying our adventurous pal with snacks and beverage(s)...this is a legit oil change! Sorry all, my bad:eek: Em, is there anybody close by the Maestro's house that could lend a hand to a road weary traveller (so he can recouperate some) and spin a couple wrenches and catch some drips of used dino fluid?;)

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Looks like Mike is in the heart or shall I say the Scrotum of I-95. My most hated of highways. Stay focused and please be safe

·
Premium Member
23,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
As of 5:05 p.m. EST he is just north of Florence, SC. Looks like he slept in late in his own bed and he didn't leave until 9:30 this morning. At this rate he can camp out in Savannah GA.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Heck he's almost in Savannah now. He should be able to make Jacksonville the way that man rides.

C'mon Rapier.

·
Premium Member
23,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
He has to run out of gas sooner or later. He's going for Jacksonville I think. That's just nutz.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
I can tell you this Maestro, this Ole Fossil could ride with him any day. He's the man.

·
Premium Member
23,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
He has the Centramatic wheel balancers , All Balls steering head bearings and the Progressive springs. That must be it.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
About halfway to Jacksonville. You can say whatever you want he's still doing it.

·
Premium Member
23,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I think he just ran out of gas. Yep! I just got the Spot text message that he is stopped for an extended period. What a WIMP. Didn't even make it to Brunswick GA.:p

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
At least he has clean oil

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Ran out of light. What can I say? If I wasn't in the middle of an area that is surrounded by wildlife refuges I would have considered it, but thought that it was better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, slept in a bit. It was *very* damned hard getting out of bed when it is your own bed and you still have 1200+ miles to go. That, and the cat was very insistent that I pay attention to her. Just like a woman... :rolleyes:

The trip today saw heat like almost nothing I'd seen before. Before I got out of Virginia t was already well over 90 degrees and by the time I was halfway through NC it was up to 102. SC was even hotter at 104, but I got a brief respite when it showered briefly (not even enough to get the bike wet, really, and the road remained bone dry because the water immediately evaporated upon the drops hitting the hot pavement.) Most of the trip was made in the 102 to 104 degree range. If this doesn't make you think how dangerous heat can be, nothing will. If it were not for my LDComfort gear (shorts, long sleeve shirt and helmet liner), a evaporative cooling neck wrap and a hydration pack of two 2 liter Platypus/Camelbak bladders in a cooler that I could drink from while on the move, this day would have been a complete bust as a travel day.

Tomorrow will be an early start so that I can get there, do the paperwork and then start a small vacation from the bike. Gonna work on my own personal pub crawl, I think, and I plan on reducing the lobster/conch population by one or two. :D ;) :)

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Ride safe and be aware of the wild life. I don't like the heat and it can be such a killer because Dehydration sneaks up on you even when you have drank heaps. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Stay focused and don't get too anxious. The hardest part is losing your focus and not being able to close the deal. Like the song says "Its a long way home"....stay with it all the way to the end. Good Luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Great leg Rapier, been in that, did that & know what it's like to forge through the heat.

If it were not for my LDComfort gear (shorts, long sleeve shirt and helmet liner)
YES! Don't those things work great? Finally another review. We're telling you guys short dollars for big comfort return. Isn't that right Mike?

The Refs advice is very sound. Keep focused my friend & you will soon be sipping "That frozen concoction that helps you hang on"

Bring it home & be safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Great job Rapier!!! You are to be congratulated on a great accomplishment. Nice to know our Wings can take us that far... Ride safe and enjoy the time off..

·
Banned
3,118 Posts

4 Corners X 2 = 8 Corners. Go twice!

It has been great following your trip and I hate to see it end, so if you would be so kind as to repeat it.... I could continue with my little morning ritual of following along as I drink my coffee.

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts
Really great ride. Stay safe today. It should be a lot cooler in Florida but you may get wet. Looking forward to a picture of the beach.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts