Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe everybody has already found this site.......... but this was the first for me..... and there stuff is way cheaper than Wingstuff or Dennis Kirk

www.superbrightleds.com

I bought 8 sets of green and 4 sets of red for $52

I got them to do some more back lighting
Start the project tomorrow,
will post pictures when finished

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Used to buy from them about 9 years ago. Stopped when they keep promising a product that I needed for a job but couldn't deliever. That is when I stopped buying from them. Hopefully they are better now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have used them a few times. Replacement LED bulbs for stock lights worked fine. On a previous trailer, I used their school bus lights in amber and red. Wicked bright and attention getting.

On current trailer I used replacement 1157 bulbs from SoCalMotoGear. Also nice. Then added combination directional/brake lights from Hyperlites. Happy with those as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I use them alot! Got the stickers to prove it! Some of their bulbs aren't very bright. They work just not very bright. Most of the stuff is great!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too hot to keep working today, already 92 on its way to 98 forecast
Got all the tupperware off, seat, all side covers, top shelter, lower front cowl,
I knew I needed to clean up some wiring from the previous owner, man was I right on that one
The 12v power ports (cigarette lighter style) were all ran with extension cords, not all bad, just can't tell hot from ground, he at least went off a fused ACC terminal in the fuse block, but from there it is a mess, lots of scotch locks extra wires wrapped around this and that. After getting down to it, have spent some time with a test light and a multimeter, figuring out what goes were. I purchased a bunch of heat shrink tubing, male/female plugs, so it can all be soldered and sealed correctly, and can be unplugged to remove body panels.
Found a spare key under the seat and a Bic lighter buried in a back pocket under the wiring for a power port, (there are 4 power ports on this thing) two in front faring pocket, one in passenger pocket, and one in the trunk on two feet of spring coiled wire.

I am wanting my green lights on a switch, I know some states aren't to friendly with colored lights other than red rear, amber side front half, and white front (have to watch numbers there) there is even a switch already in the fairing pocket already, was disabled when I used plug and play driving lights and went with the wiring already on the bike for that purpose.

Shall see how far I get in the morning

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well.......... didn't get finished. However, at least I got the PO's mess tidied up. I think I did away with 8 scotch locks.
So with lots of solder, heat shrink tubing, and quite a number of quick crimp male/female plugs, I am getting ready to start on the finished product. I got the red installed on bottom side of trunk, wired, working, and closed back up. I got the green installed along the trailer hitch supports under the saddle bags, they should reflect nicely off of the mufflers, and also a couple inside front air intake to light up behind the forks.
Tomorrow, finish wiring in the green LEDs. Then start the put back together. Honda shop manuals sure do help with tearing down and reassembly.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the project finished. My part of adding the green and red LEDs went fairly quickly, it was the rewire of POs mess that took a while to clean up
the green back light of the radiator grill was from PO

I added the green LEDs under the saddlebags and behind the front fork and also added 4 sets of red LEDs under the trunk

bike 1.jpg bike 2.jpg bike 4.jpg bike 3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,465 Posts
Very showey, and looks good.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, crownfire

trying to make it so that all the f-idiots will see it. Anything to draw your attention to it, especially at night. It is definitely more visible to the side now. It didn't show up well in the picture, but everything below the trunk is now bathed in a red glow. I am happy with how bright the green turned out. One has to over power the other peoples attention on their cell phones. That is, to me over half the battle, get them to see you. So I hope this is enough "different" to get noticed.

For the daytime, all I could do was go with a High Viz yellow helmet and a high viz yellow jacket (cool to cold weather) or my fairly shiny silver mesh jacket (warm to hot)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Be seen.....Be safe.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I finally got the project finished. My part of adding the green and red LEDs went fairly quickly, it was the rewire of POs mess that took a while to clean up
the green back light of the radiator grill was from PO

I added the green LEDs under the saddlebags and behind the front fork and also added 4 sets of red LEDs under the trunk

View attachment 272092 View attachment 272093 View attachment 272094 View attachment 272095
Nice job...
I want to do similar project... I havr LED strips... where do I start?
Switch location?
Running wires?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for the green (since some states don't like odd colors)
on my wing there is a bolt in the fuse panel that is ignition controlled hot, I came off it with an inline fuse, to a flat toggle switch (only like 1/4" tall and the size of a nickel, visible) in the left front fairing pocket,
then I started running the leds,... and connecting them together as I went, hooked three right side rear together, then the same with the 3 left side rear..... brought those two wires together under the seat, ran that one wire to just past the air cleaner, hooked all the front ones together and brought that one wire up to meet the rear lead, then connected them to the switch.
similar with the ground wires.
I used some old speaker wires that had come with a stereo to do all the wiring

the red, (no one will make you turn of red to the rear)
was easy, mine has a trailer hitch..... so I hooked them together and used the tail light lead to the trailer plug

all splices were soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing............... with one other slight fore sight, I think, I used some plugs so that bike parts can be taken off that have the leds attached by just unplugging that set of leds.

I spent more on the plugs (quick crimp made for 22/18 gauge wire) and the heat shrink tubing than I did on the leds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts