Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just purchasing my first wing I have a kind of stupid question. I have a 96 Wing and am concerned about the radio/intercom controls on the "tank". Are these controls well waterproofed? I know that there is a cover to snap over them, but I don't have one and am concerned that these knobs and buttons are not designed to stand up to a heavy rain. Is this something I need to worry about? Or am I just being paranoid? :confused:

Thanks,
Lonnie

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
1st of all Lonnie welcome to the GWOF. 2ndly When I bought my 1500 it did not come with a cover. I rode in rain several times & never had an issue. I finally did pickup a cover and used it. I didn't want to keep tempting fate but I guess the answer is the radios aren't really dainty & do put up with some weather. By the way check out this site. I got mine on Ebay but these guys are great to deal with.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150091&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1996&fveh=3492

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello lonnie, welcome to GWOF. yes the radio contrls are water proof

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I believe the controls are waterproof enough for rain conditions. I would not spray water directly at them with a garden or high pressure hose.

And welcome to the forum...

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
They will stand up to rain like you wouldn't believe. Almost 172,000 0n my 93 and never had the cover on it. And it does rain here in the N.W. Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Same question I had! Also, how do you wash the bike if spraying a hose on it isnt the best idea? What about the speakers as well? Mine needs a good detailing but I dont want to ruin any thing when rinsing it off.

You can use a fine spray/mist, but don't spray any hard streams of water on it. I wouldn't spray any water on the speakers.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I use a hose nozzle with a variable setting on it. I use the shower position. It will wet and rinse with out forcing water where you don't want it.
As far as the speakers go, I've had to replace mine once since 93. Just don't put any more water on them then you absolutely have to. There is a plastic window screen material that is right behind the grill that helps keep the rain off them, but full on garden hose not so much. Just use common sense and gentle spray.
Never use a pressure washer. They will put water where do not want it.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Just use common sense and gentle spray.
Never use a pressure washer. They will put water where do not want it.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
I agree with ron, I always washed my wings with a pail of water and a little car wash soap with a traditional wash mit avoiding the consul. Then I spray water avoiding the consul also. I've been in pretty bad rain storms including overnight without putting the cover on (like last weekend when I was away) and never had a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Cory..........

Cory,

You may want to try something that I was told by the people at Cycle Sound many years ago. (They used to make the bolt in sound systems that fit the Vetter Windjammer and Pacifico fariings way back when.) They said it was a good idea to gently spray the speaker cones with a light coat of silcone spray. That would help the speaker cones repell moisture and also help with speaker life. Always sounded good to me and I used to do that every year with mine and never caused any problems or reduction in sound quality.

Lonnie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts