Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered buying a goldwing and actually bought one a couple years ago, but the bike is too short. Actually the riding position is like that of a jockey. I have a couple Yamaha Royalstars which are fine for fit and length, the v4 is an ok compromise for smoothness and sort of quiet, but would like a smoother and quieter tourer. the problem is I would need to add some kind of forward control for comfort. I typically put in a couple 3-4 thousand mile road trips a year, plus another 8 thousand a year for local trips. So long and short is if I can find forward controls I will buy my second goldwing of my life

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have considered buying a goldwing and actually bought one a couple years ago, but the bike is too short. Actually the riding position is like that of a jockey. I have a couple Yamaha Royalstars which are fine for fit and length, the v4 is an ok compromise for smoothness and sort of quiet, but would like a smoother and quieter tourer. the problem is I would need to add some kind of forward control for comfort. I typically put in a couple 3-4 thousand mile road trips a year, plus another 8 thousand a year for local trips. So long and short is if I can find forward controls I will buy my second goldwing of my life
Hi, don't know of any way to change your controls, but there are lots and lots of different hiway pegs to give you an alternate position. The ones I have decided on are the Mic-O-Pegs, but you may prefer something else.Have fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might contact Jim's Customs and ask for information and if he can email some better pictures. The pictures on his site aren't big enough to see the installation.

Hoss

·
Registered
691 Posts
I modified the seat by removing the foam in back of the front seat. Installed footboards and use a gel pad. I know how it feels to be a tall guy on a wing. Ultamate seats make a seat for the 1800 for taller guys. The 1500 is worse than the 1800 but there bare some companies that build custome seats. Look on the WWW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is on the right track, but are his forward controls only for the older non fairing equiped bikes?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have seat backs from Ultimate seats so I know the quality of their work, which is high. I would still prefer to chase the forward controls path.
I might have to look into a Valkarie

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wig has been garage kept since it was bought but my cruse control and fog light switches are sticking either in the on or off position does any one have a fix for this problim

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Interesting subject Sailor, I've never seen a set of forward controls on a Wing. The engine configuration doesn't lend itslef readily to that kind of modification. I'm pretty certain it would have to be some kind of a one-off fabrication. Having said that, ther's always a way if you try hard enough. I had Jardine forward controls on my Vulcan Classic, and they were the cat's meow for me. Best of luck in your quest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stuck switches

My wig has been garage kept since it was bought but my cruse control and fog light switches are sticking either in the on or off position does any one have a fix for this problim
I am hoping to have a fix. Just bought a 1999 wing and the emergency flasher switch on the left and the cruise switch on the right are sticking badly. So far I have a spray can of electrical contact cleaner that I have been spraying all around the switch. Hold a rag right under the switch so it would run anywhere. I have been doing this several times so far and they seem to be loosening up. I'm hoping that by soaking them in the cleaner and working them in and out I will be able to work the stickiness out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What year Goldwing were you speaking of. I feel too far forward on anything but a GL1500. Even then with floorboards I move my feet to the front of the boards and have a set if Kuryakyn Iso Pegs to rest my feet on on the long interstate runs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am hoping to have a fix. Just bought a 1999 wing and the emergency flasher switch on the left and the cruise switch on the right are sticking badly. So far I have a spray can of electrical contact cleaner that I have been spraying all around the switch. Hold a rag right under the switch so it would run anywhere. I have been doing this several times so far and they seem to be loosening up. I'm hoping that by soaking them in the cleaner and working them in and out I will be able to work the stickiness out.
by spraying the cleaner on the stuck switches you are removing any lub that might have been on them --- disasemble the switch and use dielectric grease on them and they will work just fine---- several of my friends have had this problem -- they did just what you did -- then they brought them to me and I removed the switches and showed them just how dry they were ---lubed and reassembled they work great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts