Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
My wife, a retired teacher, is devastated over the horrific events, as is all of us. God bless the staff and the victims' families and the Newtown community; can't phantom the emotional pain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lived in Newtown for almost ten years until 2005...

... And posted this on FB after receiving so many calls from friends...

As a former resident of Newtown, I’ve been getting a lot of calls. I want to tell you about this small town where my kids went to school.

You would remember Newtown if you have been there. Everything from the town symbol (a chicken? Really?) to the annoying flagpole right in the middle of the intersection of two state highways that always seems to need to have the scuff marks painted over. To the pancake breakfast at town hall the day after the community tree lighting every Christmas. To the duck races every summer in the Pootatuck river in Sandy Hook (the ducks were of the plastic variety). It is definitely Nicer in Newtown. (Ok so I didn’t really make that up. It’s the town motto.)

Right up the road from that river in Sandy Hook, behind the fire station was the school two of my kids attended. The school building was nothing special really. I think it dated back to the 1960’s. No air conditioning. Old linoleum floor tile polished to a high shine in August and dull again by the next June. Rumors of bad drinking water every now and then (but they always brought in bottled water). If you live in town you know that SHS refers to Sandy Hook School. The aforementioned fire station is staffed by volunteer firefighters. That’s the firehouse that hosts a lobster and steak dinner fundraiser every June. Otherwise the neighborhood appears unremarkable. Cornfield up the street. Cool playground and community pool around the corner. Houses everywhere. You might be getting the picture.

I spent some time in that school building too. Parent-teacher conferences (some non-to pleasant and you know who you are, child of mine), PTA meetings, school fairs, Scout meetings and a pinewood derby or two. It all happened there as it did in all the other schools in town.

But if ever you’ve wondered what it is that makes a good school tick or a good town tick for that matter, let me tell you that it isn’t the building or the terrain. The soul of SHS are the teachers and parents who work there; just like it is the people in Newtown that make the place. It’s the store clerks, the restaurant owners and the cops. It’s the ordinary folks who get their licks at the ice cream shop on Church Hill, get their $2 second-run movie at Edmond town hall and complain about the town council for way too long.

All good people. Just thought you could use a back story from someone who lived there.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
... And posted this on FB after receiving so many calls from friends...

As a former resident of Newtown, I’ve been getting a lot of calls. I want to tell you about this small town where my kids went to school.

You would remember Newtown if you have been there. Everything from the town symbol (a chicken? Really?) to the annoying flagpole right in the middle of the intersection of two state highways that always seems to need to have the scuff marks painted over. To the pancake breakfast at town hall the day after the community tree lighting every Christmas. To the duck races every summer in the Pootatuck river in Sandy Hook (the ducks were of the plastic variety). It is definitely Nicer in Newtown. (Ok so I didn’t really make that up. It’s the town motto.)

Right up the road from that river in Sandy Hook, behind the fire station was the school two of my kids attended. The school building was nothing special really. I think it dated back to the 1960’s. No air conditioning. Old linoleum floor tile polished to a high shine in August and dull again by the next June. Rumors of bad drinking water every now and then (but they always brought in bottled water). If you live in town you know that SHS refers to Sandy Hook School. The aforementioned fire station is staffed by volunteer firefighters. That’s the firehouse that hosts a lobster and steak dinner fundraiser every June. Otherwise the neighborhood appears unremarkable. Cornfield up the street. Cool playground and community pool around the corner. Houses everywhere. You might be getting the picture.

I spent some time in that school building too. Parent-teacher conferences (some non-to pleasant and you know who you are, child of mine), PTA meetings, school fairs, Scout meetings and a pinewood derby or two. It all happened there as it did in all the other schools in town.

But if ever you’ve wondered what it is that makes a good school tick or a good town tick for that matter, let me tell you that it isn’t the building or the terrain. The soul of SHS are the teachers and parents who work there; just like it is the people in Newtown that make the place. It’s the store clerks, the restaurant owners and the cops. It’s the ordinary folks who get their licks at the ice cream shop on Church Hill, get their $2 second-run movie at Edmond town hall and complain about the town council for way too long.

All good people. Just thought you could use a back story from someone who lived there.
Home town America

1 - 6 of 6 Posts