Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a new owner, I am not familiar with this bike at all. I know my Honda Shadow Sabre in and out.

My forks are turned left when the handlebars are dead center.

Is there any adjustment? If not, and the forks are twisted, would you suspect the triple tree or just the forks?

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Do you have a good manual for your GL1800 yet? Good investment if you'd like to work on it

Forks are either straight or they ain't. If they're good and straight, then somehow the upper fork bridge has shifted relative to the lower steering stem. I'd want to know from the PO (previous owner) what happened to cause this. The steering stem contains several lock washers, two steering stem nuts, two bearings, dust seals, and grease holder. I suppose you could loosen it all up and readjust.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will go buy a manual as soon as I can. God willing, I am taking in some scrap metal to recycle and will be getting my Carbine off of lay away. The remainder will go towards a new manual for repairs. Keep in mind I just got this GW yesterday.
I am not the average GW owner. I have a good job that pays well but my wife budgets the money. Anything extra I have to go earn on my own. Plus, I tithe 10% of any extra money as well. It is a challenge to find ways to make extra money.

The PO is not around. He laid the bike down in a turn and slid into the dirt. He then abandoned the bike to the tow truck company. The insurance company totaled it out due to the cost of repairs.

The bike is so pretty I can not let it die and become an organ donor.

The front of the bike is almost untouched except for some scratches from the brush.

The bike is about as good as a bike could be after being laid down.

The problem was the tow truck winching the bike back to the road dragging it ruined the trunk and both saddlebags.

If I can get the front end straight, the rest is good. Plastic is plastic. What I can't fix I will replace.

I have an idea in my head about bartering with my local honda dealer for parts.
I was going to trade in my two sea-doos for a CBR1000RR but now maybe I will trade one in for store credit and buy parts to fix my wing.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
The PO is not around. He laid the bike down in a turn and slid into the dirt. He then abandoned the bike to the tow truck company. The insurance company totaled it out due to the cost of repairs.

The bike is so pretty I can not let it die and become an organ donor.

The front of the bike is almost untouched except for some scratches from the brush.

The bike is about as good as a bike could be after being laid down.

The problem was the tow truck winching the bike back to the road dragging it ruined the trunk and both saddlebags.

If I can get the front end straight, the rest is good. Plastic is plastic. What I can't fix I will replace.

I have an idea in my head about bartering with my local honda dealer for parts.
I was going to trade in my two sea-doos for a CBR1000RR but now maybe I will trade one in for store credit and buy parts to fix my wing.
Too fine a motorcycle to abandon to a scrap heap. I'm sure you got a good deal, so just fix that rascal up!;) Folks here will be glad to help!:)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Might check with a trike shop for the saddle bags.
Sounds like the forks got tweaked when the bike went down.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Are the handlebars themselves, straight?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is kind of hard to tell. I have the fairing on still. The bars look ok from the top looking down.
Looking at the parts diagram, I see that the bars are actually separated from each other. How nice would it be if the bars were just cockeyed and needed to be rotated and the forks are ok?????

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts