Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my fork seals when I first brought my 1200 wing. I have covered just 20000 miles and the seal has let go again:confused:. The forks were rechromed when I put the new seals in.
The big question is: Would some Hard riding:D cause it to let go? Or is it just one of those things that happen from time to time?:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I blew out my seals at the end of last year. My daughter was in a car accident and I didn't know how bad, so I was trying to get around traffic and went up on a sidewalk and slowly down the curb. She was fine happy to say. The guy I use a couple of hours up north would not work on it until spring, so I took it to a guy that works on sport bikes in the city. Early spring I was riding and those seals blew out. Needless to say I blew a lot of money and took it to my guy up north, payed him for the job again, and was without the bike for a week. Happy to say road it all summer without an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Hi Eric,

Somewhere here there is a cheap tool mentioned that cleans fork seals in place. I thought they were called Seal Savers, but when I search on this it doesn't look right.

Anyway, my understanding is that it's just a result of small dirt particles working their way into the seals, causing minor weeping that attracts more dirt which creates more leaking.

Anybody remember the correct name of this tool? It costs about US$10 I believe.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy o boy did that little gadget make a difference. It is just such a good idea and if you were on the road would get you out of trouble. It will tell how long it will last.
Thankyou [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Search for them on eBay, I picked one up for $4.70 with free shipping!

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks. Saved the site address this time in motorcycle favorites.

So, Eric, did you use this tool? Let us know how it did and how it goes.
No I made one. It has made a big difference but there is a small smear of fork oil on the forks. I may have to do it again. I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.