Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 1200 goldwing. Replacing seals. Not my first go around for forks seals on bikes.

I can't seem to get them seated far enough to allow the snap ring to go in once the big washer is on top.

I put the tube in, seat the bushing, put the new seal on, place old seal over, use a pvc tube and tap it down. I can see the groove for the ring without the washer on top, but not with the washer in place. I've tapped it down pretty hard but nothing. Ideas? Old and new seals look the same thickness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

I'm trying to attach the respective service manual sheets. I believe they place the ring between the seal and the bushing; not on top of the seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lansing, mi

Must have been put together incorrectly. The seals were upside down too. Likely why it was leaking. Will try the washer first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How'd you make out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got them in. Big washer before seal. My next question is if there is a washer between springs and I'm assuming there's one on top before the cap. I have two different ones. Might have dropped the others I'll have to look on my work bench to confirm. But one washer looks normal the other is more of a brass color and almost like it has fins or steps that lay flat on each other.

Also what is the amount of atf for each tube?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like just one washer between springs and manual calls for 9.8oz. is that correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts