Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcme to the site, what year of wing are we talking about?(I presume it's a wing):confused:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Nurse, If I have to ask how to do a mechanical thing it means I need to take it to the dealer. I have had 2 replaced, both under warranty.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
NurseGoldwing, first take off the front wheel, and then the top compartment section of the fairing (yeah that's a pain). Then remove the front fender and fork brace. Loosen the two fork pinch bolts, take off the stop rings and remove the forks. (I hope you have a shop manual btw) Using a soft-grip vise, carefully remove the cap bolts, being very careful not to damage the fork tubes and slider assemblies. The cap bolt needs to be removed cautiously or the spring will pop out very suddenly. To get the seals out you need a 6mm hollowset wrench and snap ring pliers. If you don't have a proper vise, use a bench vise with a terry towel folded a couple times. Make sure your bike is well blocked up to avoid any tip-overs.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
NurseGoldwing, first take off the front wheel, and then the top compartment section of the fairing (yeah that's a pain). Then remove the front fender and fork brace. Loosen the two fork pinch bolts, take off the stop rings and remove the forks. (I hope you have a shop manual btw) Using a soft-grip vise, carefully remove the cap bolts, being very careful not to damage the fork tubes and slider assemblies. The cap bolt needs to be removed cautiously or the spring will pop out very suddenly. To get the seals out you need a 6mm hollowset wrench and snap ring pliers. If you don't have a proper vise, use a bench vise with a terry towel folded a couple times. Make sure your bike is well blocked up to avoid any tip-overs.
Now that's why I take my bike to the dealer.... I was lost after the "take off the front wheel". .... Thank goodness for shop mechanics... God bless them one and all...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You and me both TW. Just removing the tupperware is a pain in my books, especially if it's an Aspy. I'd opt for taking the forks to a shop even if I did have the guts to take them off, I'd be afraid I'd damage them somehow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why not use the "forks in place" method? Just remove the brakes, wheel, fender, & brace. Remove the bottom bolt and seal retainer, then pop the lower off the tube. Then make a simple tool from PVC pipe to install lower back on tube and seat the new seal. Way easier!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
2 Wheel, that makes for both of us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts