Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GL1800, no ABS, just under 10k miles. I bought the bike earlier this year and am slowly going through all maintenance items so I know where things stand. I want to change the oil in the front forks. Is there an easy way to do this? The manual shows removing the forks from the tripple trees to change the fluid. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
Jim, I do believe the forks have to be removed to change the fluid.

·
Banned
1 Posts
You can do it without removing them....
hardest part is getting bolts out of bottom of forks,if they have never been out, they are VERY hard the first time and easy to strip!!! ( and they are different sizes! don't mix em up!)
you get past that, then you just take the caps off the top....unscrew the bolt on the right side under the cap ( left doent have one) and pull the parts out....but make sure washers go back in right order... pump forks- get all oil out....compress forks - fill to 5 - 1/4" pump all air out...put parts back in and done....
removing isn't bad either, but do one at time.and put it back on bike, that way, you know all parts are in right fork!
and use the tree like a vise- clamped in, and pull the forks apart....then take the other half of the fork off...and if you go that far,you may as well get a new set of bushings and seals!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Looks like that is going to be a winter project. I hate losing riding time.

Jim

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is old thread, but, I am wondering how people are measuring their fork oil level. Honda says 5.5 inches from the top. Progressive Springs, Progressive says 5.0 inches from the top because their springs take up more volume that stock. Makes sense to me. But if you measure with the forks on the bike you will get a different reading depending on where you are measuring from because of the fork angle. The front or forward side of the fork leg will show as much as one inch lower than the back or rear side of the same fork. I did an experiment with a bottle approximately exactly the same circumference as the fork tube. I discovered the difference and came to the conclusion that depending on where you stick your measurement tub, you maty have to add or subtract about 1/2 inch of oil.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The bolt on the bottom of the fork on the 1800 is not a drain plug like on the 1500. Lots of people have trouble with it spinning and not coming out, that is why the best way is to take the forks off the bike. it can be done by the bolt on the bottom it's not easy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts