Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to change fork oil in my 1500 , i have no idea where to start , i did look at top and saw big hex bolt , pics would be ideal for a numpty . what can i do to help me fix this problem . Thankyou .

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here is a link that can help you
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/110479.html

There is a drain plug on the bottom of each fork leg to drain out the old fluid. Put a jack under the bike to take pressure off the forks, take off the caps on the top of the forks and then take the drain plugs out on the bottom of the forks. Take the springs out and wipe them down, this would be a good time to replace them if you think that is necessary. Once the fluid is drained, replace the drain bolts, put the fluid in the forks, I forgot exactly how much fluid goes in each fork but I do remember that one side holds more than the other side. A Honda shop can tell you how much each fork holds. The hardest part is putting the big cap nut back on the top of the fork.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do i need to remove the big bitch of a nut ??? i have no idea when it was last changed and will use a fine syringe to fill them up , Just how do i get them nuts out ??
Thankyou .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, since it's a UK model..be sure to only use "left" hand wrenches!;)
All joking aside, use caution when removing the caps, they are under spring pressure and they make dandy projectiles!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are we taking a high pressure when removing these nuts , what size of socket do i need or is there something you guys use to get the suckers out ??? Thankyou

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They are under pressure thats why you have to use a jack to get the front wheel off the ground. I'm not sure of the size of the nut on top, but once you get it off you do not need to use a syringe to refill it unless you have the air valves on top and then you don't remove the cap nuts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait a minute, How many miles is on your bike? Remember the fork oil, unless its leaking at the seals, should be fine a long time. If you have issues with the front shocks, thats fine but otherwise leave it be. Is the front shocks bottoming out? If thats the case, it might need front springs. If the seals are not leaking and it bottoms out, too many wheelies and the springs are bad.
warchild48

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wait a minute, How many miles is on your bike? Remember the fork oil, unless its leaking at the seals, should be fine a long time. If you have issues with the front shocks, thats fine but otherwise leave it be. Is the front shocks bottoming out? If thats the case, it might need front springs. If the seals are not leaking and it bottoms out, too many wheelies and the springs are bad.
warchild48

Fork oil should be changed every 2 years.

Anti-Freeze...... 2 years

Brake and clutch fluid.... Bled 1 year, system flush the following (2nd) year.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts