Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My neighbors may be afraid that I am running a motorcycle chop shop. :p

First I was doing extensive work on a VTX 1800. That finally got done, though that motorcycle has moved on. Then I got a BMW Airhead that is part way through a full restoration.

I brought home a shiny, low mileage Goldwing. Things are looking up. Then the wheels came off. Body panels will start flying off when I change the air cleaner.

The latest missing pieces are the forks. I knew they were leaking. So I decided to put in the Progressive system. Also got a Superbrace. When I pullled the fork tubes, I discovered they were rusted and badly pitted. Badly enough that the rust is damaging the seals.

I had to order new tubes. Found a set of new OEM units at a very good price but that is driving up the spend on the forks. Will be worth it in the end. Sadly, it will cost me another week of riding.

Hope I am nearing the end of maintenance issues!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am conflicted. I am currently rebuilding the forks. I will be replacing the air filter before it goes back together. I have not noticed any issues I would attribute to steering head bearings during my limited saddle time but I know it is a weakness. I will have almost all of the disassembly done with other jobs. I am considering replacing them while I am there.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO, anytime you are that far disassembled, given the weight of the bike, do the head bearings.

Reactions: Bim

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...do the head bearings.
You are so right. The idea of getting everything back together and discovering that they need to be done gives me great discomfort. The job isn’t that hard, once you are disassembled. I just didn’t want to add more to the already long list.

I have ordered the All-Balls tapered bearing kit (seems the company is poorly named if they sell tapered bearings!:unsure:) and a 30 mm socket. I also ordered an OEM castle nut. There is nothing wrong with mine, but I want to have the nut in hand when I fabricate the tool to remove mine.

I think I have lost another week of the peak riding season but I should be able to ride with confidence once I am rolling again.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am always fighting time. Between work and other commitments, there are only a few hours left in the week for hobby pursuits. So as much as I would like to make my own steering head nut tool, I bought one instead. Found a well-made one for $35 on eBay. That way I can use the two hours I would have spent fabricating the tool installing the bearings. Hurts my feelings but, as Clint said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A previous mechanic managed to wreck the Torx bolt that is one of the bolts holds the caliper to the fork. I was able to remove it with an EZ out, but I’ll be needing a new one when it goes back together. I have spent too much time on the phone and online trying to get the right part. If anyone knows the correct part number I would be grateful.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have an acceptable solution to my bolt problem. After several failed attempts to locate the correct bolt with certainty, I went to the Home Depot fastener aisle. The metric cap bolts in the right length have no shoulder and no flange. I bought one that was too long, because it had the shoulder I wanted. I will need to cut it and chamfer the end. Then I got a stainless steel washer to make up for the lack of flange. I’ll post pics after I have it ready for use.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news: Holiday shipping volume is making it more difficult to get parts in a timely fashion. Still waiting on my fork seal kit.

Good news: since it is my first time disassembling and removing the Goldwing shelter and I have bitten off way more than I can chew in a short time, it will probably not hold up the job. I will be directly responsible for the delays.:LOL:

I am trying to get the steering head bearings done this weekend and get started the fork rebuild.

Sadly I am missing some spectacular riding weather. The early part of next week is going to be call-in-sick-to-work beautiful. But it will be a good thing in the long run. Might have sold the VTX a little too soon!:unsure:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have captured my first Goldwing air filter in the wild! If I get it back together properly I think there should be a merit badge for this job. But it isn’t back together yet.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
View attachment 274533
I have captured my first Goldwing air filter in the wild! If I get it back together properly I think there should be a merit badge for this job. But it isn’t back together yet.
I have two screws in my tool box that belong somewhere in the Tupperware from my last filter change. I'm hoping they find there way back in the next filter change.

Steve

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have two screws in my tool box that belong somewhere in the Tupperware from my last filter change. I'm hoping they find there way back in the next filter change.

Steve
This job confirms why I always want to do my own work. This bike had only been serviced by Honda dealers. It has less than 30,000 miles. But it has missing screws, cracked panels, skinned wires. All can be fixed. But no one is going to care about the machine like the owner whose backside is in the saddle.

It would certainly be easy to leave out a couple of screws. There are lots of them in hard to see places!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had some chunky stuff in the air filter. The filter did its job but I want to avoid those in the future. I had some stainless steel hardware cloth on hand. So the snorkels got a screen. Hope it helps. I donated blood to get these installed!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Terryj.

The steering stem and bearing races are out. I expected the bearing races to be more difficult but I lucked into the right tool. None of my punches were long enough. So I used a 3-foot piece of 3/8” steel rod from my welding stock pile. The length allowed me to get in the notch and rest securely against the opposite side of frame. Made driving them out fast work. Worked well for the top race also. Still have to remove the lower inner race from stem.

Unfortunately, one of the handlebar bolts has gone to the secret place somewhere below the air cleaner box. I have not found it yet. Have to break out the bore scope and go hunting. Almost got it out before it dropped deeper into abyss.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Length of the rod I used was 30”. Dumb luck on the length.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have stopped getting updates on the fork and dust seals. No fault of the seller. It was picked up on schedule and was tracking toward a delivery between the 9th and 11th of this month. First the updates stopped. For the last few days It is stuck on a notice that says, “heavy shipping volumes are causing delays. Please allow more time”. When I have gotten that before it meant they lost my package. We will see. I don’t want to tear the forks apart until I have all the parts to put them back together. I will finish up the steering head and do the reassembly that won’t get in the way of the forks.

Then again who knows how long it will take to locate my wandering handlebar bolt! :p

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If that goes quickly I can always go back to the tires, install the trailer hitch...

·
Super Moderator
11,940 Posts
I just had one package that took seven days to go from Washington to California and one that took fourteen days California to Washington. Same delay statement.

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 20 of 35 Posts