Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I bought my 1984 'wing, I noticed that the front end seemed to be connected to the handlebars through a piece of rubber. Everyone of my next 5 'wings had the same wobble in the front end. I even found out it had a name, the GOLDWING WOBBLE. Play with tire pressure, tire brand, anything you like, but (and I've tried it all) the front end is going to wobble without some sort of brace. I thought it was just me until many club members said they have noticed the same thing. I could take my '09 Ultra, run it to 30 MPH, take my hands off the handlebars (yeah, I know) and slow to about 5 MPH and never a shimmy. I tried it with my 2012 'wing and as soon as my hands came off, the wobble started. Best bet? Get used to it......

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
When I bought my 1984 'wing, I noticed that the front end seemed to be connected to the handlebars through a piece of rubber. Everyone of my next 5 'wings had the same wobble in the front end. I even found out it had a name, the GOLDWING WOBBLE. Play with tire pressure, tire brand, anything you like, but (and I've tried it all) the front end is going to wobble without some sort of brace. I thought it was just me until many club members said they have noticed the same thing. I could take my '09 Ultra, run it to 30 MPH, take my hands off the handlebars (yeah, I know) and slow to about 5 MPH and never a shimmy. I tried it with my 2012 'wing and as soon as my hands came off, the wobble started. Best bet? Get used to it......
Put a Kumho car tire on the rear, a Bridgestone 709 on the front, fill them with Dyno-beads and go hands free until you need to make a sharp turn. It has worked for me for 5,000 miles so far and I'm a veteran wobbler since boot camp.

·
Administrator
26,182 Posts
1200's came stock with a fork brace. Mine wore out at about 50k miles and I replaced it with a Superbrace along with a set of progressive springs after I had a tank slapper (different issue totally). If my '84 had 'the' wobble, I never knew about it for 167,00 miles. Then again I don't ride with my...never mind;)

·
Administrator
26,182 Posts
Oh, Prunella...I love it when you talk dirty!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Two Cents Worth

Would someone be so kind to educate me as to why a fork brace is needed on the 01-10 1800. Superbrace shows the front forks deflecting creating a front end wobble and fork distortion stating there is cupping problems without a brace.

Shouldn't increasing the front air pressure from 36 psi to 37 or 38 psi help reduce the wobble or is the brace just sales hype. I cannot imagine Honda engineering has not addressed this issue.

Please advise and thank you,

Jim
I installed the Super Brace (Powder Coated Black) for two reasons: to improve low speed handling and to get rid of a piece of chrome :)
The Brace is not necessary in my opinion. For me it helps when I do slow maneuvers; however, I'm still a lousy slow rider. At speed, the Brace does seem to firm up the front end. I'm riding to Geogia in April or May and am looking forward to see how the Brace works in the hills and curves. Also, I did get the Brace on sale, normally the black brace is more expensive but I got it at a good price. I'm not a mechanic so I paid one half hour labor to get it installed. Ride Safe

21 - 27 of 27 Posts