Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been working through the bike replacing fluids, plugs ect and no matter how much air I put in the front forks the ride still felt like a car with wore out front shocks so before replacing the springs I figured I'd try replacing the fork oil. It was pretty much sludge but everything was going along nicely untill I tried to get the air caps back on:eek: For the life of me I cant seem to get them to start threading, a combination of heavy spring tension large hands and cramped quarters have got the best of me. Does anyone know any tricks to pass on to a shade tree mechanic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I figured it out, I removed all air valves found a socket that fit snugly over the top a long extension and 1/2"drive ratchet and finally was able to put enough force down to get them threaded.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Well, you have proven the old adage, "necessity is the mother of invention". Congrats on a job well done... Ride safe..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil quantity for GL1100 front forks

According to the Honda manual. 1980-1981 you use 220CC or 7.4 oz on 1982-1983 you use 270CC or 9.1 oz. They also suggest you use ATF. I use ATF stop leak. Also the socket and extension for the cap is a great idea. Thanks Bigun, great thinking.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
When you replace the springs you may want to try 10 weight fork oil and there is a tool for fork cap installations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts