Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum also.

I am sure a lot of you carry. I am curious how and what you use if you carry on the wing. I have a CHL but when on the wing, I do not carry on my person. I found this tank bag at the Honda dealer that attaches to the fuel door and is what I use.
I would like to see some more ideas though. I do not see too many tank bags large enough to do the job.
What do you use?

Here is what i use...............

Now you see it.........................

Now you don't...................................

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Bussy, I hate to see that you had to ask this, I have been riding solo on long trips from 1979 and have never had to think that I was in need of a gun, I do hope that you never do.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Buz,

I've seen bigger tank bags, but they seem to be too intrusive. Yours seems handy, but a little cramped and exposed. A lot of folks carry in the trunk, but obviously it's not readily accessible in case of emergency.

By the way, is that the XD or the XDM? I've thought about ordering a XDM 9mm. How do you like yours?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buz,

I've seen bigger tank bags, but they seem to be too intrusive. Yours seems handy, but a little cramped and exposed. A lot of folks carry in the trunk, but obviously it's not readily accessible in case of emergency.

By the way, is that the XD or the XDM? I've thought about ordering a XDM 9mm. How do you like yours?
It's the XD-40 Sub Compact. I like the heck out of this little gun! I had been eyballing the .45 Glock sub compacts and have shot several rounds thru the glock and a millennium Pro.

It groups very well @25 yards and I can't say enough about how comfortable and how well it shoots. I have about 300 rounds thru it and have feed this thing just about every type and brand ammo I can find, this little baby eats it all up and has never jammed or had a problem feeding.
I picked it up last year at the gun show for $469 I think it was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the right fairing pocket, cut out the bottom of the pocket just big enough for my gun. It is locked but pretty accessible and plenty room for extra mags. I carry a Glock 19 40 cal.
ps - I glued some foam to the bottom of the pocket a for a little cushion have carried for 20K mi.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bussy, I hate to see that you had to ask this, I have been riding solo on long trips from 1979 and have never had to think that I was in need of a gun, I do hope that you never do.
You just never know when you might need to defend yourself. Just the sight of a gun will usually wart off a would be attacker, with not a single shot fired. That's what I was told in the class I took anyway. I'm all for it ! If a place of business has a no concealed weapons sign up, I simply don't go there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ruger SP101 .357 Mag. Carry it in my hip holster, all the time. On and off the bike. Can't tell I'm carrying, even if I wear a tee shirt.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's bad enough to hit something hard enough to deploy your airbag. But then to add insult to injury, you get pistol-whipped by your own gun. :D As far as my concealed carry... that's classified! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I was going to speak up and keep it shor but I would have quoted Rainbow.
I have a Taurus same size. great little gun, steel frame pretty accurate.
It is only a .380 but works for this application because I like the lockable, easy access glove box.
I am a .45 guy. My wife and I both carry Kimbers when we go on trips in a car.

I have a concealled carry permit and I am not a loose cannon. I am very careful and respect the laws and the danger associated with guns. twice in my life, I have been assaulted with a vehicle. Cagers are deadly when you are on a bike. You can't run or hide. the last time it happened, a car jumped into my lane and ran me into the ditch. My only idea was that they mistook me for someone else. There was no reason for anyone to do this to me. It took me back to when I got my first bike. I lived in Detroit and my best friend spent the winter fixing up a shovel head. the 2nd time it rode it to work, a drunk ran him down from behind. He almost lost his foot and at 19 years of age would use a cane for the rest of his life. When the guy sobered up, the poice report stated that he ran him down because he hated bikers. I am not looking for trouble. My friends ride with me have no idea I keep a gun with me. But I refuse to let a cager or anyone attack me without me having the ability to defend myself. I appreciate the police having a presence and that does deter crime. But the police are avengers. Finding and convicting someone who uses a car as a weapon is just too little too late when it's my or my wife's life on the line.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Carry Weapon

I should carry more often...but, when I do it is my KelTek .32

I carry it on my person, usually on my belt but occasionally, in my front pocket. I like it better than my .38 S&W snub nose chief (more concealable).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since receiving my CCH on the first day Kansas began issuing them (01/03/2007), I've only walked out of the house twice without being armed and both times were going to the Grandkid's school for a school event. On the bike, I still carry the same way I do 99% the time. I carry my Sig 239 SAS DAK in 40 S&W:

in a Brigade Gunleather M-11 IWB holster. I know if I go down, I'm going to end up with a heck of a bruise if I land on the gun but I don't want to constantly have to move it from the bike to my person whenever I get off the bike. Too much of a chance of making the sheep nervous if it's spotted and, after all, that's why they call it "concealed carry".

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Haven’t gotten around to a carry permit yet, but will be doing that soon. In Mississippi you don’t need a permit to have a firearm in the vehicle. It is an extension of your property and you have the right to defend yourself. I’m not sure how that will translate in other states but if I need to deal with that I’ll cross that bridge. Hadn’t thought about the front pockets being big enough for a pistol but I will check that today. I’ve never had a problem but I intend to be able to take care of myself. I would say the majority of our local GWRRA group carries. As if you wouldn’t expect that from a bunch of red-necks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry mine in either a fanny pack that is made to carry a gun, and in the spring I have a vest with a built in holster and in the winter I have a jacket with a built in holster. All 3 of these items are made to carry a firearm. You have to order them with the right holster for your gun. Sometimes I use a shoulder holster but not very often.
If anybody is interested in any of these items I have a friends who is a dealer in them and will give you a good deal. He also has a bunch of other crap like knives, lfashlights and all kinds of holsters and outdoor gear.
Let me know and I will try to get you a price.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
This is an interesting post for me to read, since you can't get a concealed carry permit here in Canada. You have to get a transport permit if you are a member in good standing at a gun club and properly licensed/trained and all else, and then it's straight there and straight back home. Over and above gun related violence around here, there is a tremendous amount of bladed weapons offenses committed in and around Edmonton and Calgary. Have to figure out a way to carry a live katana on the Wing I guess.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts