Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6'6" tall and need more room on my 1800. I am considering having an upholsterer move me back as much as possible using the stock seat. I also want a backrest. Will this seat mod mess up installing a backrest such as the Utopia? If there is a conflict, would a simple mod to a bracket work? Those who have installed one of these may have a good idea what I am up against. Thanks for your help. I am trying to avoid a $1,700.00 custom seat. My stock seat is heated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
http://www.utpr.com/installation.html

Check out the installation on the Utopia web site. The underseat bracket attaches in a specific location to mesh with the curve in the seat base. Consequently the location of the Utopia is fixed and can't be moved backwards without some sort of custom or modified bracket or shims.

I'm 6'5" with a 38" inseam. I found adjusting the handle bars with shims available from Wingstuff made the geometry much more comfortable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe one of the backrests that have a metal bar and pivot fore and aft would work. I might need to bend the bar back if the adjustments are insufiicient. Any thoughts on
the kury?

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
My thought, since you asked, is this: The seat modification won't change the form of the seat base, most likely only the padding. If they don't change the forward or rearward position of the apex of the lower back rest as it is stock, it should be a non-issue installing the Utopia. The Kuryakyn / Bar type back rest bolts to the passenger grab rails, however, I don't know if the mounting bars are adjustable forward and rearward independent of the pad tilt. Can somebody with a Kuryakyn back rest verify this ????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts