·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Now I get it, thanks ole buddy:)

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Chop,

I love that quote attributed to Lt Gen. Puller. Just what you would expect from a Jarhead....

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chop,

I love that quote attributed to Lt Gen. Puller. Just what you would expect from a Jarhead....
Heheeeeee. "All truth's ' are simple: All policies are complicated " . ~ . T.W.W. I never, in my military time, considered that General Puller lived 150 miles away. His name and his " myth " were a staple in the corps, both inspirational and humorous. The general passed away in 1971 and I joined in 1974, but being young I had no time for history, my world was now. Greeting him personally is too late, but homage is timeless.

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Hey Chop, thought you might like these. Some quotes accredited to Lt Gen Puller.

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."
"Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction."
"We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them." — November 1950, during Chosin Reservoir campaign
"Remember, you are the 1st Marines! Not all the Communists in Hell can overrun you!" (at the Chosin Reservoir)
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the real Marines."
"I killed fiddy men!"
"Tojo was commin' at me faster than I could gut 'em so I hads to gut 'em faster."
"Alright you bastards, try and shoot me!" (to Korean forces)
"Where do you put the bayonet?" (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I remember my dad telling my little brother when he left to go to MCRD San Diego,"Keep yor head up and chest out just like General Puller";) I also remember my brother left home as a smart a-- punk and the day he graduated boot camp he was man and for the first time in my life I thought he could whip my a--!

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Chop, thought you might like these. Some quotes accredited to Lt Gen Puller.

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."
"Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction."
"We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them." — November 1950, during Chosin Reservoir campaign
"Remember, you are the 1st Marines! Not all the Communists in Hell can overrun you!" (at the Chosin Reservoir)
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the real Marines."
"I killed fiddy men!"
"Tojo was commin' at me faster than I could gut 'em so I hads to gut 'em faster."
"Alright you bastards, try and shoot me!" (to Korean forces)
"Where do you put the bayonet?" (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
C. His quotes were appropriate to his time and duty. In looking for his roots in Saluda ,Va. I came across two elderly couples having an after service chat in the church parking lot. The elderly lady commented that she " feared the bulldog " for his insistence that she not walk slumped over but with her shoulders high and would give her a knuckled fist in the lower back to encourage her posture. I also met his daughter- in-law at the cemetery. Very small town, yet in my unguided tour without any " signs " available, I met many locals who had no recollection of the him.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember my dad telling my little brother when he left to go to MCRD San Diego,"Keep yor head up and chest out just like General Puller";) I also remember my brother left home as a smart a-- punk and the day he graduated boot camp he was man and for the first time in my life I thought he could whip my a--!
He had the psychological advantage.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He had about four inches hieght and about forty pounds weight advantage also.:eek:
Your Goldwing had the same advantage when you first met her. Please don't tell me she still intimidates you!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts