Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys ride with a group, how strict are you with the rules of the road. Do you enjoy a more relaxed ride, or are you the type to follow all the hand signals, staggered formation.....

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
When we rode in NC....we just rode. I have ridden with Southern Cruisers as well as GWRRA and really haven't seen any strictness. Safety is number 1....but fun isn't far behind.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Everyone I've ridden with which is only individuals, no groups, has an unspoken rule; no passing the rider in front of you. Everyone I've rode with rides staggered formation. If you gotta stop, signal your intention so folks don't pile up. I will probably ride with our GWRRA local chapter sometime as I suspect they may have a few more rules.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Everyone I've ridden with which is only individuals, no groups, has an unspoken rule; no passing the rider in front of you. Everyone I've rode with rides staggered formation. If you gotta stop, signal your intention so folks don't pile up. I will probably ride with our GWRRA local chapter sometime as I suspect they may have a few more rules.
That's about it, what Dan has said. For safety you got have an understanding among the rider. Going down the road like a herd will get somebody hurt.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
In a group of 2 or more, always staggered though we usually exchanged the lead position frequently, simply to let our bikes air out a bit.;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have rode with a few different groups it seems that things get serious in groups of 50 or more. communication before the ride is most important to make sure everyone is on the same page. But no matter how serious it gets, if you are not having fun whats the point. The smaller the group the funner it is as the average speed tends to increase:D

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Just good common riding practice. Always stagger, give room, communicate prior (make sure everyone knows the route that way you don't play the stop & wait game when people get stuck at a Traffic light).

The other important thing is if you are leading the pack remember this "You are in Control." This is one big reason why not everyone is cut out to lead a pack. There can be no room for indecisiveness. Make sure if you are stopping that there is room for all the bikes so that someone is not stranded out in the line of traffic. It is equally each bikers responsibility if they are not leading to stay in line as mentioned (no Passing) etc.

All of these concerns is why this Ole Fossil doesn't do the big group rides. I am blessed to ride with some guys that know how it goes & we can just enjoy. I will say that obviously you have to ride with someone the 1st time so repeated rides will yield better results. Case in point was apparent this past Saturday. Having ridden with my friend Two Wheel on many occasions I took notice on how the 2 of us know where each other are & what we are going to anticipate working our way through traffic, particularly on the slab. It really is enjoyable & reassuring so that we both can enjoy the ride.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
When we rode in NC....we just rode. I have ridden with Southern Cruisers as well as GWRRA and really haven't seen any strictness. Safety is number 1....but fun isn't far behind.
I've rode with the Southern Cruisers a few times and the usual leader, Blue " is a consummate and constant signaler. He'll keep the riders pretty busy, ( a bit too busy sometimes for my taste ) passing down his signals. On the other hand, REF, too much is better than too little or too vague as I discovered the hard way.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I have only been on a couple of group rides. One of those rides we were given a map of the route and I found that good because you knew which way we were to turn next. Eric

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Just good common riding practice. Always stagger, give room, communicate prior (make sure everyone knows the route that way you don't play the stop & wait game when people get stuck at a Traffic light).

The other important thing is if you are leading the pack remember this "You are in Control." This is one big reason why not everyone is cut out to lead a pack. There can be no room for indecisiveness. Make sure if you are stopping that there is room for all the bikes so that someone is not stranded out in the line of traffic. It is equally each bikers responsibility if they are not leading to stay in line as mentioned (no Passing) etc.

All of these concerns is why this Ole Fossil doesn't do the big group rides. I am blessed to ride with some guys that know how it goes & we can just enjoy. I will say that obviously you have to ride with someone the 1st time so repeated rides will yield better results. Case in point was apparent this past Saturday. Having ridden with my friend Two Wheel on many occasions I took notice on how the 2 of us know where each other are & what we are going to anticipate working our way through traffic, particularly on the slab. It really is enjoyable & reassuring so that we both can enjoy the ride.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
The wife and I road for the first time with this great bunch and this for me is the way to do a group ride, If the numbers get up over ten for me it is time to have two or three groups and have each group do their own ride.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I rode with a couple groups that was very strict on hand signals , staying in formation , I hate that people are so serouis , I love to just ride , it is nice if you are staggered looks better

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
I rode with a couple groups that was very strict on hand signals , staying in formation , I hate that people are so serouis , I love to just ride , it is nice if you are staggered looks better
You definitely need to ride with the PA/VA connection. The only strictness we have is I have to kick everybody in the butt to get out of the restaurant.;)

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
You definitely need to ride with the PA/VA connection. The only strictness we have is I have to kick everybody in the butt to get out of the restaurant.;)
I know the VA connection , rode 2 times with them , looking foward to the PA connection , even of Ram is a Steelers fan

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I know the VA connection , rode 2 times with them , looking foward to the PA connection , even of Ram is a Steelers fan
You dodged one Steeler fan at NC. in Ralphhumor.........He wore a lot of Black and Yellow just for you.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
The group I ride with keeps in communication with the C.B.. Not many straight roads around here, good to know if there is any animals or stuff around the next corner.
We ride staggered formation.
But don't ride if we are staggering. :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
If people would show up on time you would not have to do the butt kicking thing.:eek: would you belive the wife made us late. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i don't normally ride with a group and when i do i try not to leed. on our annual club ride i never leed i'm usually second from the last. communication is very important in a group

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
I lead many of our local GWRRA group rides. If we have a large group we will break down into multiples of five to seven bikes and stay ½ to a mile apart. We do ride staggered and on my rides I hand out a map to as many who want it. If anyone has a better route then we have made changes but do talk about that before we head out. Almost all of us have CB’s so warnings about hazards and turns are given. I do keep the chatter minimal and let everyone enjoy the ride. Radios are handy for lane changes as it lets the drag change lanes and control it for everyone else. Even when we are in a group, everyone is expected to ride their own ride and not over their comfort levels. It is supposed to be about having fun……

·
Registered
718 Posts
GWRRA does have training seminars on group riding and road captain courses. Safety is #1 in our plan and each group differs on overall cb chatter. When I lead, I try to keep everyone informed of where to turn, road condition (road kills) and lane changes. I also vary road speed to try to time lights to keep group together. If you are unsure about riding in a group, let those leading the ride know so they can place you in a good position to be observed as to speed up the ride or slow down the ride. Group riding isn't all that bad. Just remember to check an attitudeat the door and plan on having fun, even if it isn't at the pace you normally ride, unless it is too fast for your liking. Don't let anyone push you faster than you feel comfortable with. Almost all GWRRA rides I've been on have been at the speed limit to 5 below the limit.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The larger the group, the more strict the rules have to be. I prefer small sub groups as crownfire mentions; large groups can exponentially raise the trouble quotient. Knowing the plan and following basic procedures is a must do IMO. Too many signals creates confusion so the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule should apply. If there are some radio equipped riders, one up front and one in the back is the minimum way to go. Keeping an eye on the upcoming traffic snarls and possible trouble spots is a shared responsibility, not just the leader's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.