Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about mounting a VHF antenna in the same location as shown in this link: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...na-trunk-mount

However, since the bodywork is plastic (or fiberglass), what are the chances of getting a working ground plane to this location and having it actually work? Would a grounding wire be enough? It'll have to be a wire since this part of the trunk lid is on hinges..... I'm only running 2 to 3 watts @ 150MHz, and the antenna will be light weight and about 18" long. What are your thoughts?
Steve F

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Should be some way to doi it, there's VHF antennas on fabric aircraft and composite airframes. I'd offer more, but the link wouldn't open for me...got the famous "Oops, link seems to be broken" message.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
i got the famous " link not found " when i tried

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DANG it...let me try this link again:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?293115-Garmin-XM-antenna-trunk-mount

Yeah, yeah, it's "another" forum, but we're all in this together, aren't we?
If that link doesn't work, try to picture this. The link had photos of the upper-most part of the GL1800 trunk lid, just behind the passenger back cushion, there's an area where a bracket could be attached and a VHF antenna mounted. I had received a suggestion of making a few loops of wire running around the perimeter of the trunk lid to simulate a ground plane, and have this wire loop connected to the antenna bracket. I think this MIGHT work, but was wondering what you all think. I may give it a try.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
I guess it depends on your future plans for the bike's trunk, e.g. spoiler and rack. I'm not sure if that small mount would benefit much in regard to forming a suitable ground plane though. If you never plan on carrying a rack bag, perhaps a solid plate attached to a trunk rack would do a better job.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the spoiler, no rack and don't plan on installing one either. So, I'm going to try to make a sheetmetal plate to mount to the inside of the trunk lid and ground it to the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts