Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first run today that was only 200 miles. For me this is long due to my back and I've only had the '98 GW 1500 for about a month.

Two questions:

1. How many miles can you ride before the low gas indicator light goes on?

2. If the low gas indicator goes on, how many miles can you ride till your stopped?

Thanks Dan

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
This question reminds me of the one, 'How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop?" I don't trust the light and when I have 3/4 of the tank gone I search for gas or stop before it gets to 3/4. With my luck the light would come on and there wouldn't be a gas station for miles, panic would set in and I'd be out of gas completely.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand your philsophy but your reply is a non-anwser. If you don't know that fine. Just don't reply.

This question reminds me of the one, 'How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop?" I don't trust the light and when I have 3/4 of the tank gone I search for gas or stop before it gets to 3/4. With my luck the light would come on and there wouldn't be a gas station for miles, panic would set in and I'd be out of gas completely.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Hey, I'm just being funny everyone needs a good laugh. People do the same to me when I ask a question every now and then. It is probably in the owners manual approximately when the light should come on. I just don't trust the light. Don't take everything so serious, laugh a little. :)
Please read the owners manual :).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I understand your philsophy but your reply is a non-anwser. If you don't know that fine. Just don't reply.
Her answer was an answer, only you can determine that since all bikes are different, Would you rather her tell you that you can go 50 miles and then you run out in 40 miles? She was being homest with you.
I would suggest you be kinder to people here if you want help in the future.
The light will come on anywhere between 1.2 gals and .9 gals if it's working properly, no one knows how far you can go because your gas mileage will vary on speed, weight, headwind, pulling a trailer, etc. and if you sending unit is bad, which happens a lot on the 1500 Gold Wings the light will come on when you turn on the key but won't come on when your fuel is low. And if that happens it's time for a new fuel pump, Honda doesn't sell just the sendiung unit. As Trike Lady suggested, get gas when it is on the last mark or before, don't rely on the light coming on, it might not, gas gauges on the bike are just like on the car, they are all different. Your best bet is get a can of gas, ride the bike until the light comes on, the see how far you can go before you run out. You have the gas can with you to get you to a station. You should know how much your bike will take on every line on your gauge, so fill up at different points on the gauge and see how much fuel it takes, then you will know how far you can go on any amount you have left in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Thank you joe in calif
I thought his response was a little mean. I just use common sense as I just don't trust the light. If its mechanical or electrical it can fail and who wants to be stranded on the side of the road (not me).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you joe in calif
I thought his response was a little mean. I just use common sense as I just don't trust the light. If its mechanical or electrical it can fail and who wants to be stranded on the side of the road (not me).
It was not intended to be mean but I can see now how it may have come across that way. It was intended to gain facts based off the experience from the users here. If I was asking for opinions or feelings your response would be great. I'm sorry if I upset you as it was not my intent and your opinions are very valid.

Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
The answer to your questions is: there is no answer! I know how many miles I can travel on MY bike, with ME riding it, while considering the hills, the speed, the load, and wind, etc. but that all has absolutely no bearing on you and your bike.
I can tell you that the furthest I have gone on a tank of gas is 212 miles, and I did not run out. I have no idea if the fuel light came on or not. I don't care.
Now remember, my 212 miles without running out, and we don't know what you are riding nor what I am riding.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
red light fuel warning.

This is about as reliable as a red warning light on your oil pressure, Basically, when the oil light comes on your engine is close to be ruined. On my 1800 I have had the light come on at 185 miles and next time at 215 miles. It isn't much to watch for frankly. At 150 to 175 miles i ought to be filling up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The answer to your questions is: there is no answer! I know how many miles I can travel on MY bike, with ME riding it, while considering the hills, the speed, the load, and wind, etc. but that all has absolutely no bearing on you and your bike.
I can tell you that the furthest I have gone on a tank of gas is 212 miles, and I did not run out. I have no idea if the fuel light came on or not. I don't care.
Now remember, my 212 miles without running out, and we don't know what you are riding nor what I am riding.
First thank you for your information. As mentioned in my first post I ride a GL1500, unless you state otherwise, I assume your ride the same.

Thanks for your time. Dan

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I gotta know

Trike lady, I gotta know, just how many licks is it? I think Ill head out to the quick mart and buy a tootsie roll pop.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
billcarr,
Please let us know what your findings are and post them here.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
T
wo questions:

1. How many miles can you ride before the low gas indicator light goes on?

2. If the low gas indicator goes on, how many miles can you ride till your stopped?
Dan, What they are telling you is correct but let me see if I can be a little helpful instead of obstinante.

1)If I ride myself I usually will get aprox. 200 miles before light comes on. 185 if the little lady is with me.

2)The furthest I went with light on was 20 miles. Here's what I did.

I wanted to make sure the light worked so I got a 1 gallon can of fuel, put it in the trunk & went for a ride, waited for the light to come on & then rode more. After 20 miles I thought the experiment was complete enough to stop for fuel. Never needed the gallon jug.

The little lady & I just completed 9K mile trip cross country & the light was on only twice. So as the others say don't rely on it but it is nice to know the limitations.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
if my fuel guage is on empty i usuallyusually have about two gallons left in the tank. its time to slow down, look for a gas station and refuel. i don't want to know how far it will go on a gallon of fuel from my experiance with other bikes not far enough

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '94 GL1500 SE. Gas gauge hits the red line past the "E" mark on my gauge at about 170 miles. Fuel light comes on at about 220 miles. I usually fill up after that and have never put in more than 5.7 gallons.

I average 38-40 mpg on my wing.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
91 Posts
My indicator is past the E before the light goes on. If I'm driving normal speeds (65 or so) I get about 175-180 when the light comes on - showing well below empty. I don't like to see the needle that low so I usually fill up first. I have always intended to run it till empty sometime but never seem to get to that. From the amount of gas I put in when the light come on I am thinking about 30 miles. I put in about 5.2 gal when the light gome on. On the times I have had a really long strech I drove 55 & made 200 miles & the light never came on. At 70 I might not have made it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my last trip I met someone on a 97 just like mine & he said he gets 40 - 45 mpg all the time. When I drove 55 that 200 mile strech I got 41 mpg. At 80 on the freeway I get 29 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey, I'm just being funny everyone needs a good laugh. People do the same to me when I ask a question every now and then. It is probably in the owners manual approximately when the light should come on. I just don't trust the light. Don't take everything so serious, laugh a little. :)
Please read the owners manual :).
Ok, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding,......I AM KIDDING.(well, maybe just a little curious)

I am with you on lights.
Seem similar discussions on OD light telling you, you are in 5th gear or "how long does your brakes last"?

I am old school. I don't trust my neutral light for obvious reasons and I have riddin enough to know what gear I am in.

What someone else said above is probably the best advice. I always run my trucks, cars and bikes out of gas when I buy them or look at the owners manual to see the size of the tank and see what it takes to fill up when I am close to E.

My manual says 6.2 gallons on my 1500 and at my lowest mark (that I am willing to risk) I put about 5 gallons back in. And I only let it get that way once in while when I am close to home and know where the gas stations are.

Can we take a poll on the tootsie pops or has someone already done that??

I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I AM KIDDING!

Well, maybe.....nah forget it.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
billcarr post #11 was taking on that task, he has to post the results when he has them.
Please let us know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts