Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many out there have footboards with heel toe shifter. I'm having knee and hip pain (maybe because I'm old:rolleyes:) after about an hour it gets alot worse. Have highway pegs but not alot of help. Have been considering the Kuryakyns. Ride safe, Clayboy:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have driven using both and I am not a fan of the heel/toe shifter. My son has that set up on his Wing and I find 2 faults with it. 1. Getting used to pressing on the heel for up shifting and pressing on the toe to down shift drives me nuts. Maybe with time it would come naturally, but its just not for me. 2. The shifter itself takes up about half of the floor board. So, my left foot is only half on the floor board and not resting fully like my right foot. I am constantly finding myself trying to rest my foot on the shifter and several times I have down shifted unintentionally by shifting my weight. That set up is just not for me. But my son loves it and so do many others on this board. I would suggest that you attempt to find someone who will let you try it out before you lay out that hard earned cash. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
maybe your problem has nothing to do with floor boards but seat height. if your seat is too low it puts your knees up high sort of like a cruiser, not very comfortable for the long haul. the old sit up and beg position is much more comfortable. because the seat on a wing is low for me i use a gelpad, not for comfort but the 3/4 an inch it raises me up

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
maybe your problem has nothing to do with floor boards but seat height. if your seat is too low it puts your knees up high sort of like a cruiser, not very comfortable for the long haul. the old sit up and beg position is much more comfortable. because the seat on a wing is low for me i use a gelpad, not for comfort but the 3/4 an inch it raises me up
+1! First start with a gel pad to raise your seating height. You can do that for about $20 or $40 if you double the gel inserts. Hello WalMart.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Wondering how many out there have footboards with heel toe shifter. I'm having knee and hip pain (maybe because I'm old:rolleyes:) after about an hour it gets alot worse. Have highway pegs but not alot of help. Have been considering the Kuryakyns. Ride safe, Clayboy:)
dont no if it helps with pain , but i love my heel toe shifter , would never use anything else

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Have had both....I prefer the pegs. Doesn't feel like there is room enough for the floor boards. You will also find that floor boards get in the way a lot if you are backing the bike up (manually).

I have also found, if you get used to pegs, you can ride any bike.;)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I had floor boards on the bike when I got it, drove for a while but I could not get use to it, had trouble shifting plus some sights mention it was hard on the tranny. Instead I installed mini floor boards, they are great and when I put my feet to the ground I don't get caught in the floor boards.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I have Kury floorboards and like them, the only thing is you should have long legs because you have to have to put your legs out further to touch the ground.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have the Kury boards and h/t shifter. No issues with them whatsoever. Sidestand is easy to reach with just a quick flip of the l/h board to the up position.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I have floor boards and the heel toe shifter on my 93, Never had a problem with the transmission and I have 175,000 miles on it. The pegs made my knees hurt. I have the old Markland boards set in the low position. Wouldn't be without them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts