Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get fog lights for the wing and I also decided that instead of paying the dealership to put them on I would tackle it myself. I found the Steve Saunders video and watched it several times before I started. It took me quite a bit longer than Mr Saunders but I did get them on and of course when I went to turn them on to test them, I got nothing. for the life of me I couldn't figure out why they were not working. I disconnected all the wires and re-connected everything and still nothing. I then stepped back and stood there for a good 5 minutes thinking what did I miss, but I couldn't think of anything. and just when I was about to take everything off and send it back I hit the high beam switch and the fog lights came on, I didn't know that when the high beams were on the fog lights go off.

my next project will be to install a trailer hitch, that should be fun.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
While some may think that's wrong, in reality, it is the law! One is not to have the fog lamps(remember, we are talking FOG lamps here, not driving lamps)illuminated when the high beams are on.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
While some may think that's wrong, in reality, it is the law! One is not to have the fog lamps(remember, we are talking FOG lamps here, not driving lamps)illuminated when the high beams are on.
Driving through an Ohio fog , I recall hitting the high beams and found myself experiencing a white out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fog lights work only with low beams, found that out in Germany back in the 70's, by accident of course. Installed them on an old mustang and encountered the same problem Crisco2 did. I wanted them to work on high and low beams, no such luck.

The Fog Lights mounted on my 2010 Wing were part of the "free" accessories thrown in with the purchase of the bike. The Lexan covers were also added...break a Fog Lamp and it costs!! Oh, the good old days. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not a product of mother honda! You can thank the National Highway Transportation and Safety administration for this! It is against the federal law to run fog lights with your high beams and everybody knows the more light in fog the less visibility you have!!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Pretty much the same everywhere I think. Legislation...go figure. I had a set of driving lights on my old boogie van back when. Got stopped by the Gendarmes and recieved a nice non-refundable coupon for my efforts, along with a disconnect order that I had 24 hours to comply and supply proof. Silly gits never said anything about removing them, only to render them non-functional if you get my drift.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Hondaline p/n 08V31-MCA-300B $72.00 Cdn:eek: Any CDN or US Honda dealer
Wingstuff VIP p/n HO08V31MCA100B $54.14 USD

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry I had to chuckle when you found the high beams were on. Its an honest mistake. I put a Bushtec hitch on and their instructions were awful. I found some pictures online from someone and they cleared up the bad instructions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In fog yes, Jack. But on a clear, crisp night on a dark lonely road a bit more illumination can't hurt.

I would call those driving lights, two different animals.

I believe its illegal to have more than 4 white lights burning at once in some states while on the public roadway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts