Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how people feel about their fog / drivings lights that are located in the lower cowl. I'm thinking of getting some and would like to know what are good brands and what to stay away from.
Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had Hondaline LED lights put on mine as part of the $1000 acc. add on when I bought my bike. But when the sun goes down its cold out so I have not had a chance to ride after dark. It got close last weekend and I put them on and was surprised how much light they cast. I think they are a good investment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 08 GW came with them, I see the value in increased bike visibility from the front, don't know why them call them fog lights, I don't plan to ride in the fog. I believe its a worth while option, go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my first Wing last week. It has the driving lights, but they don't seem to be working. It is the button to the right of the hazards button, correct?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you protect them with a lens protector like the EC brand one to prevent expensive breakage as I experienced, twice now. I have the Hondaline halogen kit which I like very much. Plug and Play.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
My 07 came with them and I find they are a definite asset. They don't throw the light far but it illuminates the ground from the front of the bike up to where the actual headlights start. They do a good job of providing added frontal protection at twilight from oncoming cars. They are indeed worth the money in my opinion.:)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Bret
I have dealer installed at time of purchase Hondaline halogen fog lights including the protective covers. I can't say how the do in fog but I believe they do help light up the near field. More important to me is the fact that they provide a "see me" function and that makes them worthwhile IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like they are now officially on my wish list! I forgot about the lens protectors, thank you all for your response!

·
Registered
36 Posts
fog vs. driving lights

I don't know many people who will deliberately start a ride knowing they are going to ride in fog (probably only die hard commuters and/or those who have no other transportation). Unless "being seen" is the objective, which is not a bad one, the manufacturers should be selling driving lights.

I have the Kuryakan fog lights that are installed in the lower cowl (the ones that are advertised as driving lights). They don't put out a whole lot of light and I'm dissapointed with them. I changed out the bulb to an 35W Extreme White H3 bulb which provided a little more light, but they are still fog lights, not driving lights, and even with the brighter bulbs don't add much visibility for night riding. Kuryakan recommends not upgrading to a 50W bulb as the stock wiring harness won't handle the power draw of 50W bulbs. EC makes a (plug n play) harness they claim will allow you to install a 50W bulb in the lower cowl; has anyone installed this heavier wiring harness? If yes, please provide a post as to the improvementin visibility, or lack of, by upgrading to a 50W bulb as well as ease of installation of the EC harness.

Don't forget that if installed per the directions, the lower cowl lights will shut off when you switch to your high beams.

As my goal is to see better at night, being seen a secondary consideration, I purchased a PIAA 1100X DRIVING LIGHT kit. I'm in the middle of the install and hope to finish it this week. I'm hoping these true "driving" lights will provide the visibility I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
As my goal is to see better at night, being seen a secondary consideration, I purchased a PIAA 1100X DRIVING LIGHT kit. I'm in the middle of the install and hope to finish it this week. I'm hoping these true "driving" lights will provide the visibility I'm looking for.
I have a neighbor rider who just installed some HID ( ? ) low beam light bulbs. The hook up requires an additional ballast. WOW! Unbelievable light power. I was riding behind him at night and using his illumination to guide me. With these puppies lower fog lights do nothing but add looks. I jumped ahead of him to get a look at the lighting in my rear view mirror and between his headlamps, lower driving lights and turn signals it looked like a train was following me. With a set of these nothing more is needed. I'll get some specifics of these from him soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What brand of HID lights did he install and how and where does the ballast install into the light harness? You mentioned when you got in front of him it looked like train lights behind you, but what does he say about the increased visibility?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
What brand of HID lights did he install and how and where does the ballast install into the light harness? You mentioned when you got in front of him it looked like train lights behind you, but what does he say about the increased visibility?
I didn't get into the specifics of the brand or where he got them from, but I will inquire in detail when I see him and post it here on this thread. I was so impressed with the illumination that when I arrived home I told Mz. Vickie about it. I try to avoid driving at night be it in a car or on a bike; but if I had to, I would want these bulbs lighting my way. Be patient, I'll get some info.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I like these as they make me a little more visible. They do light up the near road well also. This helps on the back roads at night. Around here there is a heavy clay soil which shrinks and swells and breaks up the pavement. The fog lights let me see this coming a lot better.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've got a set of the Honda LED's waiting for the right time to install. I really think the lights on my '09 are the best m/c light I've ever experienced, but I like the idea of having the LED's for dusk/dawn hours, and the increased visibility from the forward (oncoming) direction. As to fog, I'm in it lots in the morning hours, it's just what we go through in our area, every bit helps. I'm also thinking a cow bell might be a good thing for forest rats and the like:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have the Honda LED's on my 09. They don't throw a whole lot of light down the road, but they do make the bike more visible, which is really why I bought them. If you want driving lights, you will need something else and higher up on the fairing.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I've got a set of the Honda LED's waiting for the right time to install. I really think the lights on my '09 are the best m/c light I've ever experienced, but I like the idea of having the LED's for dusk/dawn hours, and the increased visibility from the forward (oncoming) direction. As to fog, I'm in it lots in the morning hours, it's just what we go through in our area, every bit helps. I'm also thinking a cow bell might be a good thing for forest rats and the like:rolleyes:
I have noticed that the fog/driving lamps seem to be a little more white than the headlamps. Not much but a little and they do seem to make critter eyes gleem more than the headlights by themselves. Guess they have a higher Kelvin number than the regular lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
fog lights

The EC ones can be wired to be able to run with low aand high beams. The amber lens protecters from EC wil make you more visible.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
The EC ones can be wired to be able to run with low aand high beams. The amber lens protecters from EC wil make you more visible.
Can you give a link to these protectors?
Thanks,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts