Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 -1800 with Kuryakin halogen fog lights....my left front bulb burned out and needed replacement....I removed the lower plastic shroud and diassembled the light housing...rewired the bulb which was replaced by Kuryakin at no charge(they should since it was only 6 weeks old!!)....getting the plastic back in place and keeping the rubber seal intack around the bulb housing was really fun!!! Should the bulb housing have some "play" in it and if it should, how do you keep the rubber seal tight at the same time!!?? The bulb housing has spring adjustable screws for positioning...Anybody have a suggestion??:)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have the Honda LED on my bike, but I would think that the housing should fit snug. If there is play in it it would seem that dirt and water could get in there and cause a problem..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in CA and recently bought a new 08 Goldwing in TN and had the Kuryakan lights installed by the selling dealership. I bought the Kuryakan lights over the Hondaline lights because I wanted driving lights, not fog lights. There were/are two problems; the Kuryakan Internet catalog listing these lights reflects they are driving lights in two locations; however, the narrative section of the listing describes them as fog lights. I spent 5-days riding the bike home from TN to CA; the 1st time I turned on the Kuryakan lights on the way home the light they provided was essentially non-existent. When I got home I checked the adjustment of the lights and found the lights to be WAY out of adjustment, obviously the dealership did not take the time to adjust them, so I did. Unfortunately, although the instructions state the lights can be adjusted without removing anything, in my experience, as soon as I stuck a screwdriver between the rubber boot and the light, the boot came off of the cowl and I ended up having to remove the cowl to reinstall the boots. Once the lights were adjusted properly, I put the bike together only to find both lights were no longer centered in the lower cowl holes. I guess I'm going to have to take the cowl off again, and loosen the lights and move them so that they fit in the cowl opening properly, if this is possible. The instructions don't specifically address this problem; I'll have to call Kuryakan again to get their input on this problem. Although I don't deliberately ride in the rain or fog, I know it could happen. Based upon that possibility and the possibility of water getting to the lights in spite of the rubber boots, I also purchased the fog light covers. When I do remove my lower cowl to reposition the lights, this time I'm going to secure the rubber boots with a few drops of a non-permanent glue just to hold them in place as it doesn't take much to make they fall off of the cowl.

On a side note, after getting the lights properly adjusted, I was still not happy with the additional light they provided. I contacted Kuryakan and this is when I found out the Kuryakan lights were fog lights, not driving lights. The Kuryakan representative acknowledged their Internet catalog pertaining to these lights contained an ambigious description of the lights. The Kuryakan representative suggested I change the standard bulb to an H3 Extreme White bulb (made by PIAA) and advised me this bulb will give me a brighter light. However, the representative said changing to this bulb will not change the light pattern, they will still be fog lights, just a little brighter.

Althought I'm very impressed with the standard Goldwing lighting, I anticipate riding at night and as a result I want to do whatever I can to make my night riding experiences as safe as possible. Accordingly, I've purchased the PIAA 1100X Driving Light Kit. As soon as I receive and install it I'll get back on the forum and provide a review.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts