Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys.
I just bought this really great 2002 GL1800 Motor Trike. Theres alot about it I'm still learning but its fun learning. I've been studying the manual and everything I can but I can't seem to get these fog lights to work. Maybe they're burned out but that seems unlikely. There isn't any fuses burned out. There isn't a switch to turn them on and they don't come on with the headlight dimmer switch. Nothing that easy. No, the only thing I can think of is testing them somehow but I haven't a clue how to even do that. When I turn the headlights on - low or high beam - they don't come on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Can you tell what type of bulbs they are ? As much as it is a pita you should take one out and check the bulb and voltage to the socket .

·
Registered
373 Posts
The fog/driving light switch is normally in front of your left knee, next to the headlight adjuster dial. Is there nothing there?

P.S. Que se passe-t-il dernièrement avec tout le texte russe sur ce forum?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you tell what type of bulbs they are ? As much as it is a pita you should take one out and check the bulb and voltage to the socket .
That crossed my mind but its not like a screw type or a pin type of bulb. It looks like the only way to remove them is to remove the fairing panel that goes around both of them and a few of major pieces of the bike that requires the bike to be lifted up higher than my car jack will lift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fog/driving light switch is normally in front of your left knee, next to the headlight adjuster dial. Is there nothing there?

P.S. Que se passe-t-il dernièrement avec tout le texte russe sur ce forum?
Thanks for your answer but as you can see in the photo my bike is a trike and when "Motor Trike" installed the kit they deactivated that side of the panel as it was the air bag on the rear of the bike and now none of those switches do anything. I'm thinking about getting into that panel and changing things around to use for new running lights and the so called fog lights that don't light up but are just hanging there for looks.:giggle:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE = "jimmybarton, post: 2244732, member: 74586"]
Sorry, I'm not at home right now. At work. But when I turn on the headlights - near or far - they don't come on.
[/ QUOTE]
if the fog lights were installed by yourself, look for a self-installed fuse near the battery
No, I had nothing to do with the installation of these lights. They're factory installed thats why I'm thinking they may be cornering lights that come on with the turn signal. I tried checking that out yesterday when I got home from work but the wife had other things in mind I had to do - like listen to the news concerning this d__n election that soaks up all the energy in the country right now and probably will for another 4 years.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
That crossed my mind but its not like a screw type or a pin type of bulb. It looks like the only way to remove them is to remove the fairing panel that goes around both of them and a few of major pieces of the bike that requires the bike to be lifted up higher than my car jack will lift.
There are six screws , three on ech side, and two pins that you remove and the lower cowling canbe removed. He hardest part is getting the lower cowling over the fog lights. That is why I said it is a PITA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are six screws , three on ech side, and two pins that you remove and the lower cowling canbe removed. He hardest part is getting the lower cowling over the fog lights. That is why I said it is a PITA.
yeah, thanks. Looks like a beautiful day today. I'll let you know how it goes.(y)

·
Registered
144 Posts
The fogs might be Honda, but they don’t come from the factory installed. The only thing they should have deactivated on that panel is the suspension adjustment buttons. The headlight adjuster knob and if it’s there, the fog light switch should still function. If you pull that panel out, I bet they left the whole panel unplugged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same issue, and it turned out to be a bad relay. Rather than replace the relay (whose job is to turn the fog lights OFF when the hi-beams are activated), I simply removed it and made a direct connection. Not only did it make the fog lights operable, but I'm also able to use them no matter which position my headlight switch is in. Thanks to the folks on this forum for the solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anyone out there that knows about "Motor Trike's" fog light disconnect? As I was saying earlier the female plug end was just left hanging at the gas tank (see pic above in previous post) and I don't know how to find the other end to plug it in or how to hook it back to the hazard light, etc. gang plug in that panel (see hazard light panel pic). Its got me scratching my head :unsure:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Are the fog lights wired to ground at the foglight or is ground provided thru the plug in pic FogLightPlugEnd ? Also is the power provided to both lights thru the same wire ? Not sure wy there is three wires at the plug .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the fog lights wired to ground at the foglight or is ground provided thru the plug in pic FogLightPlugEnd ? Also is the power provided to both lights thru the same wire ? Not sure wy there is three wires at the plug .
Yes to both questions - theres a ground wire at each light and theres a black wire to ground at the plug end that I'm holding in the pic. There isn't a fog light switch in the panel box next to the hazard light switch so even if I bought a stock switch and put it in the space next to the hazard light sw. I don't see a plug end to plug it into. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
144 Posts
More pics for Motor Trike guys to see how my fog light wiring went NO WHERE
yea, it should have went to the left fairing panel and a switch would have been installed for it. The wing is pre wired for fog lights, but whoever did that wiring up front used non wing lights and butchered the harness to connect those. I don’t think any of that was part of the Mototrike install/conversion. Can you get any info from the previous owner? The wing came from the factory with a fog light harness pre installed, it included the wires and plugs to plug into the lights in the front and the wiring and a plug for the switch under the left fairing panel. It’s probably still there in a rubber boot toward the bottom/back of the panel hole once the panel is removed. Not sure why they went to so much trouble to route that wiring toward the rear of the bike. Do you know which exact model of mototrike this is? The ones on their web page show extra fog lights made into the runnerboards from the trike body. If they converted this to Mototrikes air ride suspension, they didn’t have to kill everything in the left panel. That panel has one large connector that plugs into the bike harness, they could have just snipped the wires for the factory suspension buttons and left the rest functional. Do you have a Mototrike dealer near by? They might be more assistance with this since they don’t release any of their schematics to the public.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Yes because they didn't use the factory wiring for the foglights. So you have a ground wire and a power wire? at the plug going to the foglights. Do you know where the third wire goes ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes because they didn't use the factory wiring for the foglights. So you have a ground wire and a power wire? at the plug going to the foglights. Do you know where the third wire goes ?
In the pic with my hand holding the plug end you can see the wires - red, blue, white and black and an extra thicker black wire going to ground. Like ya'll said the fog lights installed (by who I don't know and the owner I bought from isn't talking for more reasons than this) were put in by a third party that cooks pizza for a living o_O most likely.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
kind of sounds like they were wired like on my old 1500........ there was no switch to turn them off....... they came on with the ignition......... no other choice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts