Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I access the bulb to replace it on the lower cowling?

My GW is a 2000 SE so I guess they are calles driving lights.

Has anybody simply replaced the bulb with a stronger than 18W successfully? I am thinking I could fit a H4 bulb (with some epoxy and a dremel) in there but is worried about the heat melting the reflector. Any takers?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi kimswang, I have replaced mine with the stock replacement bulbs. I removed the minimum amount of screws and eased back the plastic and squeezed in my hand to replace the bulbs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kimswang, I have replaced mine with the stock replacement bulbs. I removed the minimum amount of screws and eased back the plastic and squeezed in my hand to replace the bulbs.
Thanks for the reply Bad, I will attempt that as soon as I get the bulbs I ordered. Then leave it for a rainy week to replace the bulbs with H4 and increase the vision at night both at high and low beam...

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Then leave it for a rainy week to replace the bulbs with H4 and increase the vision at night both at high and low beam...
I put them in the headlights at the end of the season last year.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Be careful of the current draw on the new bulbs Kimswang.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
JetMech, I don't know if you'll get a response, the OP hasn't been on since the end of 2011.

I would be concerned about the melting though, as the halogen bulb is longer and much hotter.
Also the current draw might overtax the wiring, as it is triple the draw.

·
Registered
54 Posts
JetMech, I don't know if you'll get a response, the OP hasn't been on since the end of 2011.

I would be concerned about the melting though, as the halogen bulb is longer and much hotter.
Also the current draw might overtax the wiring, as it is triple the draw.
~Thank You~

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No melting whatsoever. Works like a champ and I think I have the brightest and widest spreading lights of any 1500, all while not blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I stand corrected on all counts!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you mind sharing where you ordered them from and the make and model of the bulbs?
Bought them on eBay. GP Thunder H4 100/90W in the main light with the washers, and GP Thunder H3 55W in the fogs. Fit with very minor modifications. Choose you K value but 7500 works good for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, what do folks suggest as the replacement lighting for an '08 Wing? One of my cowling lights has given up the ghost. Can the bulb be replaced or does the whole light (or set) need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
So, what do folks suggest as the replacement lighting for an '08 Wing? One of my cowling lights has given up the ghost. Can the bulb be replaced or does the whole light (or set) need to be replaced?
Talk about reviving an old thread, oh well, no harm done. I put these in my '08 gl1800 and the are very bright. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-replacement-bulbs/h3-can-bus-led-bulb-27-smd-led-daytime-running-light-led-tower/2263/5146/ Replacing them isn't hard, but it is a little time consuming as you have to remove the lower cowl and remove the lights to get to the bulbs. All in all it took about 45 mins.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Talk about reviving an old thread, oh well, no harm done. I put these in my '08 gl1800 and the are very bright. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-replacement-bulbs/h3-can-bus-led-bulb-27-smd-led-daytime-running-light-led-tower/2263/5146/ Replacing them isn't hard, but it is a little time consuming as you have to remove the lower cowl and remove the lights to get to the bulbs. All in all it took about 45 mins.
Well, I ordered the lights you suggested.... boy howdy, you weren't kidding about time consuming! Wow.... (and I'm not the most mechanically oriented person in the world)...
Removed the cowl and the lights.... is the glass lens supposed to come loose for you to get at the bulb? Dang thing looked almost like a sealed beam. I removed the two little clamps that hold the lens on but alas.... I couldn't get it to come off. I was afraid if I kept it up, I'd damage something and STILL wouldn't get the thing done.

Is there a trick to it?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Well, I ordered the lights you suggested.... boy howdy, you weren't kidding about time consuming! Wow.... (and I'm not the most mechanically oriented person in the world)...
Removed the cowl and the lights.... is the glass lens supposed to come loose for you to get at the bulb? Dang thing looked almost like a sealed beam. I removed the two little clamps that hold the lens on but alas.... I couldn't get it to come off. I was afraid if I kept it up, I'd damage something and STILL wouldn't get the thing done.

Is there a trick to it?
Unfortunately the whole light has to come out so you can put the bulb in thru the back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took the whole thing out and looked at it; wasn't sure what i needed to do, but it sounds like I need to disassemble the entire fixture to get at the bulb

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I have looked all over You Tube to find a video to help you, but there doesn't seem to be one. It kind of looks like if you don't have the rubber plug on the back of your lights, they may not be factory. The bulb is under the rubber plug on factory lights. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmmmmm..... very possible they aren't factory lights... dunno, for sure, tho.... it's the lights that were in it when I got it in 2014 (it's an '08). When it dries out some here, I'll give it another look-see and try to figure it out. THanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts