Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GWOF,

I'm a new Goldwing owner... actually I haven't picked it up yet, so I suppose I'm an almost owner.

My new bike, a 96 Aspencade is in great shape. The seller has taken great care of it... Kept it garaged and changed the Oil regularly.

The one fly in the ointment of this new bike is a crack and hole in the faring near the right knee. I've attached a picture. The seller tells me he was riding one day about 5 years ago and he heard a crack which he thinks was from a rock and the crack developed. It ran down as far as it is now and has not gotten any worse over the past few years.

Should I ignore it or do something about it.... and if so what?

I'd love to hear ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Ok you can do one or two things......look on ebay and find another part, have it painted to match your wing....as it most likely will not be your color, or you can try to fix the part you have. You will still at some point have to repaint it as there looks to be a small piece missing up top. you can use this stuff to fix the crack and fill the hole.......www.plastex.net it is kind of pricey but it works very good as I used it on some of my plastic parts on my wing.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
WDNWing,

1st welcome to the site, Bama has given you a good start but like he said probably have to do some repainting. Another option for you is the link below. That part appears to be still available in your color & it will come painted to match. The people in the link are great to deal with & I've purchased many things form them. You may want to verify it's availability with a phone call. The item number appears to be #12 in the drawing but as I say verify it. One other thing it is definitely not the cheapest route but it would just bolt on.

Good Luck, ride safe & enjoy the GWOF.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=147636&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1996&fveh=3460

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
bought one last year. Was well over 300 plus paint.
Mine was beyond repair.

I would fix it or have it fixed if it's not too bad. A good body man will make it look like new.
If that isn't your deal, buy a new one and move on.

I would be cautious about buying a used one.
This is a weak designed part. High stress and a weird angle. IF you get a used one, make sure you see the back side and avoid ones that have been glued back together as it may not fit right. also look, some of the bolt holes have been broken off. the heat and cold make this the worst part of the tupperward and the fitment puts more stress on it as well.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Might get a very small drill bit and put one hole at the end of the crack that will stop it from getting any bigger till you get it fixed,Make sure there is nothing behind were you will be drilling first :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Might get a very small drill bit and put one hole at the end of the crack that will stop it from getting any bigger till you get it fixed,Make sure there is nothing behind were you will be drilling first :)
Good advice knwe55. Works well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to any autoparts store and look for a bumper repair kit. This consist of a large tube of epoxy that is the same stuff as the abs plastic. Use it pretty liberally and seal up the crack. You can even mold it to fit in the missing chuck and then sand it down.

Similar to this stuff http://3mcollision.com/3m-automix-ez-sand-flexible-parts-repair-kit-05895.html

The Plastix stuff would work well too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would chalk that one up to getting the "first scratch" out of the way. IMHO I would buy it, ride it till the wheels fall off, replace the wheels and ride it till THOSE fall off. :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In the pic-the fairing molding seems to be missing. Are you sure it that good a buy?
Has someone that knows a lot about Wings checked it out for you?
I don't believe a rock could contact that area of the fairing hard enough to take a chunk out like that.
There may be more to the story!
Just saying-there's a lot of bikes available that are complete and no damaged panels.
Sorry about raining on your parade here but, the pic w/parts damaged and missing doesn't smell right for some reason.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
In the pic-the fairing molding seems to be missing. Are you sure it that good a buy?
Has someone that knows a lot about Wings checked it out for you?
I don't believe a rock could contact that area of the fairing hard enough to take a chunk out like that.
There may be more to the story!
Just saying-there's a lot of bikes available that are complete and no damaged panels.
Sorry about raining on your parade here but, the pic w/parts damaged and missing doesn't smell right for some reason.:confused:

I must agree, there is no way a rock did that damage. Looks to me like it was dropped to cause that type of damage.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad someone mentioned the trim molding. I'm inclined to agree with Cantankerous on this one, the bike fell over against 'something'. That in itself isn't a big issue, we've all had our little mishaps. Finding a reasonable solution is the ticket to happiness.

·
Registered
364 Posts
WDNwing Go to Lowes and get some abs pipe the black kind (not pvc) and abs glue. I had a large crack in the bottom of my saddle bag from P.O. took the abs pipe and a file for doing body work sort of like a cheese grader get a bunch of shavings and mix it up with the abs glue make a paste then smooth it out on the back of your piece. Make sure to over lap your crack and let it set up This will melt the abs plastic together like one piece. Did this to the 7" crack in my saddle bag and it is now like new. You can also sand it too. Hal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts