Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how many of you are riding with the original foot pegs and how many are riding with floor boards.

An HD friend of mine said he can't imagine riding with pegs on his bike. I, personally like the pegs. Maybe eventually I'll switch to the floor boards but for now I'm comfortable enough.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are better than the originals Donald. I will keep those in mind if or when I decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Original pegs for me. A friend of mine was out of business for several months when the floorboard on his GL1800 caught his foot and broke his ankle. Besides, I'm in the same boat as DonaldLL as far as short legs and ground contact... or lack of. :D

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I have had floor boards on my cruisers but I still have the original pegs on the wing.

When I look at how I hold the bike up, I see that floorboards might cause me some irritation on my ankle as I would be rubbing against them when I come to a stop. Also, the Interstate does not have reverse, so there are times I have to "get'er done" with some serious pushing to get it backed up. (If I ain't paying attention when I park.)

Also, I enjoy hanging my foot down over the front of the peg. It is a different posture and I am enjoying the pegs rather than the floorboards.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had boards on my 1500 and liked them very much. At 6'4" I found the boards gave me more ability to move my feet on long trips. When the police bikes changed from Kawasaki to Honda, we went from boards to pegs. When that happened, I changed the boards back to the original pegs. The pegs gave me much more ground clearance and made the bike a lot more fun. When I bought my 1800, I didn't even consider boards.

Boards can be more comfortable for long trips with the ability to move your feed. Boards restrict ground clearance in the corners. If you are one to ahhhh explore the abilities of your bike, strick with pegs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the floor boards on my Drifter and LOVED them. Of course the first few times I rode it I had the same problem Radarsdad described, fortunately, I didn't brake my ankle. On the wing I would stay original foot pegs and maybe get some fold out floor boards for my engine guards

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Original pegs with a second set mounted on the engine guards for the highway.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Original pegs for all the reasons stated below. I have the highway floor boards and outside of stop and go traffic that is usually where you will find my size tens.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Started with the stock pegs, switched to full boards & then went to these. Loved them, the best of both worlds. For you 1500 guys you have to get an adapter. Wingstuff doesn't carry the adapter had to get it elsewhere. These give you the feel of a board but plenty of room to plant your feet.

As always just One Ole Fossil's opinion.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/.../gl1800/232_goldwing_footpeg_floorboards/des/

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Stock pegs. Legs are too short for floorboards.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
stock pegs on both my wings

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn replacement pegs as well. I also have highway pegs.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Floor board on my 93 Aspencade for 16 years. The pegs cause pain in my knees.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
232 Posts
Like others I have floorboards on my cruiser.... in this case a Road Star, and I love them for that application. Having said that, I can't imagine having floorboards on my 'Wing.

I did not think I would like the pegs and I made sure to take highway boards with me when I flew out to pick up my new 'wing. It was so cold on the way back I hardly used the hiway boards and what I discovered was that I could go a long way and be comfortable with the pegs. I do have the hiway boards for stretching out and wouldn't be without them - but I think that is the answer to what to have... and like others when it comes to having to have your feet on the ground - you need to have pegs. IMO.

These are the hiway boards that I have: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/232_footpeg_floorboards/2287_kuryakyn_gl1800_highwayboard_lighted_or_un_lighted/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F232_goldwing_footpeg_floorboards%2Fdes%2F

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I've got the OEM foot pegs on my Wing.
The PO had highway pegs on the case guards and they didn't work for me at 5'4" tall, as he must have been close to 6' tall.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
First of all Hi JDPiper, you posted this question in the wrong spot.

To answer about the pegs vs boards, the last two wings I've had had/has boards. I happen to love them. It's been a while since I had a bike with pegs. I will admit I have pretty long inseam and I'm about 6.1 so I never ran into a problem getting a board into my ankle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts