Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have floorboards w/ h&t shifter on your GL1800 and do you like them? I was considering a setup such as this for mine. My feet need to have some change in position after a while or my ankles get knotted up.

Roryrob

·
Registered
405 Posts
Some of the dealerships will tell you that they contribute to failure of the transmission and will not honor you warranty if you have them installed. There has been some transmission failure in and around the year of 2006 models. Some, if not most, riders will tell you it was a bad transmission to begin with. I suppose if you did put them on and had a transmission problem you could always take them off before asking for warranty service; and hope they did not ask.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my gold wing and put the floorboards and heel toe shifter back on that the po removed. I can tell you exactly why they could damage a transmission.
When I first put the heel toe shifter on I noticed that it put a slight but constant downward pressure on the shift lever. This would be similar to constantly resting your hand on the shift lever for a car. On a car doing this has a tendency to destroy the synchro mesh part of the transmission. I am sure the same is true with the wing. After a couple test rides I took mine off again, ground down the slot and made it slightly longer so there would be no pressure on the shifter(the slot that fits on the shift lever). Now it shifts like it should, doesn't get stuck in one gear (like in my test rides) and takes much less force.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added floor boards not only because of ankles but knees and hips. Always had highway pegs but it helps alot to be able to move your feet around. 75k without then, 25k with. I would never go back.

Anyone want my old stock pegs?

Never had a shifting problem on an '01 GL1800.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have them on my 08 with no issues at all. I don't see how they could cause a trans problem. All it does is move the shift lever the same way as your toe would without them. I don't have any binding and the heal toe lever is well balanced so it doesn't force the shifter out of it's proper position. It's nice to be able to move your feet around a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PM sent.

Would love some stock GL1800 pegs for my ST1300. Reports show it lowers the pegs some and offers more room to shuffle around and they use the same mounts.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Roryrob,
First welcome to the forum from another Pa'r. Got my 09 from down your way at Planet Honda in Chaddsford. I don't have floorboards or the heel-toe shifter on my 09. The reason being with a 29" inseam it makes it very difficult to reach the ground when coming to a stop. I do have friends that have them on their bikes and they like them very much. I have the Kurykyn ISO pegs and the standard footpegs and they seem to work fine for me.

Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had floor boards on my 1200 Aspencade and my 1500 Aspencade. I am 6'4" and I found having the ability to move my feet around helped in some areas. I never had any transmission problems. If there is a problem, I would bet it is because the rider is resing his foot on the H/T shifter.

That being said, I took them off my 1500 and found the bike alot more fun to ride. Boards tend to hang lower and out from the stock pegs and they will drag the ground through a corner in a heart beat. It doesn't take much to find the ground with the boards. I have, however, not ridden an 1800 with boards, so I am not sure if they interfere with lean angle or not, anyone want to ring in on that issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts