Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I hear different stories out there...so the question is:

"Do the toe heal shifter floor boards put un-due stress on the transmission / gears of the Goldwings...?

Does any one know....I have the Kury...set on my bike and love them...put everyone tells me I should remove them because they will cause premature failure of the transmission / gears (rounding of the gears) is what I have heard.

The dealer states that the transmission will not be covered under warrenty if the bike has been modified.

Any thoughts....

Bike: 2010 GW

Safe Ride.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
A lot of guys have a HT shifter and love them. Dealers will look for ways to get out of covering tranny problems and many will blame a HT shifter for problems. So guys get around it by having a HT and taking it off before they go to the dealer with a tranny problem. So that's the good, the bad and the ugly.... You decide which is which.. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
shifter

I would love heel toe and don't see why Honda doesn't add it. I would love floorboards and darned sure don't know why Honda doesn't add them. The passengers get boards and I don't? What does heel toe have to do w gear rounding?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm with you Billcarr! My last Harley had floorboards and a heel/toe shifter, and I got to love the boards just for the comfort when cruising. The heel/toe was a nice change of pace when riding too. I also do not understand how using the heel/toe makes a difference on the gears...??? (The tranny doesn't know what you are using :confused: ) If you shift sensibly, the tranny should handle it easily. :cool:
ChrisGL1800

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
I also wonder what a HT shifter would have to do with rounding gears. Hope the more experienced here might have an answer. Is the shift lever longer and putting more pressure on the gear if you don't pull the clutch before changing?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point exactly...I can not figure it out...the TH shifter does nothing but lift the shift lever up and down...no different than the toe of your foot.....still looking for a good answer.....any Honda mechanics out there....?:confused:

But Thanks for the responses..

Safe Ride.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Honda seems to use heel/toe shifters as an excuse to deny warranty claims on tranny related problems because of undue stress placed on the shifting forks, leading to tranny failures.
The claim is, those who have the heel/toe shifters, "stomp" on them to make shifts, which will "bend" the shifting forks! Also, claim they lead to incomplete shifts so the gears are not fully engaged!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You're on the right track tfd. There is a small chance that due to the leverage and length of the h/t unit, a rider that gets rough with shifts 'could' do damage to the shifting assembly. Note that the operative word here is 'could'. Make sure the shfter and the spacers are aligned properly and the shifter should operate just fine. If you install one (I did on my '09) keep your stock toe pad and if things go sideways just pull the h/t off and put the toe rubber back on and visit your dealer. Just don't mention the h/t and you'll be fine. Now prevention is better than cure, so if you do get the heel/toe shifter, do all the good things and don't get forceful with the shifts. Mine is smooth as butter in all gear changes, even 1-2. I attribute some of that to the Amsoil, but also learning about the bike and feeling the proper shift techniques too. There is a definite sweet zone to the 1800's tranny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The problem is with the person that keeps his or her foot on the ht all the time and does not let it go back to the neutral position to be ready for the next gear. It then does not want to change for you and you have a tendency to get rough with it trying to make it shift and can bend the shaft. If you like the ht make sure and lit it work come back to the rest position.\
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Yes, it does mess with the trans and one of my client's trikes was proof. Most people tend to 'Stomp' on the heel section and your heel exerts more force than your toe, remember not everyone is a careful person. The heel/toe shifter on his trike would not return the shifter to a neutral position, when I changed it back to stock it worked fine. The return spring for the shifter was getting weak and the weight of the h/t kept it from returning. He never damaged the trans only weakened the spring and it would have to be replaced eventually.
I personally do not like them and will not put one on my Wing, But everyone has different likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The problem is with the person that keeps his or her foot on the ht all the time and does not let it go back to the neutral position to be ready for the next gear. It then does not want to change for you and you have a tendency to get rough with it trying to make it shift and can bend the shaft. If you like the ht make sure and lit it work come back to the rest position.\
Ron
What shaft are you talking about that bends????
All I have ever heard is the shifting fork for 4th to 5th is the first damage. Then it progresses to jumping out of 5th gear and goes "downhill" rapidly from there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong here...I have owned GW's since 1984....and I like (love) my 2010 GW...but I hate to say it...it does not sound like a toe / heal shifter problem but a poorly designed transmission... :(

Hopefully Honda will get their @!#$ together on the front fork shimmy and gear shifting Inadequacies on the 2012 bikes....

Thanks to all on the input on this thread...

Safe Ride...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts