Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, I bought a 1976 Honda GL 1000 (Naked) Goldwing. The previous owner had it sitting in garage for the last four years. I get it home, because I know how after months of sitting the fuel gets stale. I pulled the carbs and there was fuel that must have ran down the intake. I cleaned carbs, replaced the floats and float valves, and still it's filling up with fuel. I have been able to get bike to run more than a half a second, but I certainly don't want it running with fuel filling up. I've pulled carbs again and everything looks ok, what am I missing here, any information to help me would be great!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Double check the carb above that cylinder. A bad needle valve or seat or a small speck of crud can cause your issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"...must have run down the intake" How did you determine this? Fuel in the crankcase oil? When you replaced the floats, did you confirm the needle valves were seating correctly? "I have been able to get bike to run more than a half a second, " Did it just pop or did it run? Why are you concerned about "it running with fuel filling up." What's filling up? How do you know that cylinder 2 is "filling with gas?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction, I haven't been able to get it to run for more than half a second*
"...must have run down the intake" How did you determine this? Fuel in the crankcase oil? When you replaced the floats, did you confirm the needle valves were seating correctly? "I have been able to get bike to run more than a half a second, " Did it just pop or did it run? Why are you concerned about "it running with fuel filling up." What's filling up? How do you know that cylinder 2 is "filling with gas?"
When I pulled carbs again fuel was coming out of intake 2. I did discover just yesterday that I had a broken rocker on intake no. 2 so although bad, I'm thankful that, that valve being broken wasn't allowing the fuel to enter motor. But my carb issues, the only thing I haven't replaced was the carb seat. Everything looks seated properly, new floats and float valves. I did order a float gauge to measure float heights. I didn't see any debris, because I did just clean carbs.
IMG_20210501_195855005_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes bike would run then quickly die out. After yesterday discovering the broken rocker, I know cylinder 2 wasn't working, I believe this explains why the fuel hasn't entered the motor, but still a carb issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts