Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My book was downloaded and printed, and there's not enough resolution in the picture of the float level, where it says .61 inch or 15.5 mm. Measured where? The float is sort of rounded. Is this possible to do w/o the tool, indicated as H/C 023892 or p/n 07401-0010000? P/O apparently had these carbs apart before, I saw cement on the float bowl gaskets, one of the pilot idle screws left its point stuck in the carb body, and on each of two of the carbs, one of the indexing collars broke off in the body when I took off the bowl. Gasket cement on one of them too, the other broken piece missing entirely. I think the gasket should still hold OK. (I think I'm in over my head)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1981 Manual Handy but it is for another Honda machine. It says the Float level is the measured distance from the bottom of the float to the float bowl matting surface.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmmm. I waited a while to see if any further posts came up to clarify. Do not kapische 'matting surface'. I saw reference to a $40 book with pictures so I'm going to order that. Like another owner says, it's a real pita to get these things out, and I dont' want to screw them up and do it over. Ive had them apart so long I'm really getting confused about how to get them back on with linkages. It looks like I've got some extra O-rings, so I'm getting my tit in a wringer as we say back on the farm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The extra "t" used in the spelling of mating surface may be throwing you off. It's probably referring to the surface where the float bowl and the carb body meet.....so... the measurement would be from the surface of the carb body to the float (probably the bottom of the float, but remember it's going to be up-side-down as you measure it). Beyond that I have no other details to suggest. Hope this helps at least a little.

Lynn

·
Registered
183 Posts
Donaldo88 I'm trying to be helpful here, but it seems to me that you might have more serious problems after you get the carbs installed if you don't address the idle jet problem and the gaskets. Why not order carb kits? This is from experience, many times I've rushed a carb job only to have to remove to carbs allover again and then to take them apart again.

This site may help you get started in your search for carb kits: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/index.cfm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there ...If the float level is correct the distance between the uppermost edge of the floats and the flange of the mixing chamber body will be 15.5 mm (0.61 in). Adjustments are made by bending the float assembly tang (Tongue) which engages with the float tip, in the direction required'
Hope that help you out
Ranger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts