Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I have decided to flip the switch and go Darkside. So, here is what I need. The bike is an 07, 1800 and I do occasionally pull a trailer. I am not aggressive in turns but I do like to wind it out on straight runs. What I would like from you is, if you have gone to the C/T, please tell me.

1. What tire and size you selected.
2. Approximate price.
3. Any problems encountered.
4. Do you use the ceramic beads for balancing or both wheel weights and beads or just weights?
5. Air pressure and effects of too high or too low.
6. I have seen pictures of the tire just after being installed, but none of the tire with X-amout of miles on it. If you have some please share.
7. Any other comments you may feel you would want to share.

I know I could have weeded through the tons of posts concerning this subject but it seems that more C/T's are on 1500's rather than 1800's and I am looking for some quick answers.
Thanks
Isaac

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I think I have decided to flip the switch and go Darkside. So, here is what I need. The bike is an 07, 1800 and I do occasionally pull a trailer. I am not aggressive in turns but I do like to wind it out on straight runs. What I would like from you is, if you have gone to the C/T, please tell me.

1. What tire and size you selected.
2. Approximate price.
3. Any problems encountered.
4. Do you use the ceramic beads for balancing or both wheel weights and beads or just weights?
5. Air pressure and effects of too high or too low.
6. I have seen pictures of the tire just after being installed, but none of the tire with X-amout of miles on it. If you have some please share.
7. Any other comments you may feel you would want to share.

I know I could have weeded through the tons of posts concerning this subject but it seems that more C/T's are on 1500's rather than 1800's and I am looking for some quick answers.
Thanks
Isaac
The easiest size to use and find is a 195/55/16 and it will be almost exactly the same height as the M/C tire that you have now. However if you choose a 195/60/16 then they are about a 5/8" taller and the will help correct the speedo error that you have now. Instead of being 5 mph optimistic, it will only be 1-2 mph off.

I have gone to the michelin aplin all weather tire ZP (zero pressure), I forget the other jargon that describes it but it is a run flat. I have run Dunlops and Falken standard tires with excellent results.

Prices range from $100 to $200 depending on the tire you choose.

Been there done that with the beads, but I am back to the weights. I have my own tire machine and balancer and I hate the mess of dealing with dismounting a tire full of beads. Honestly I believe the beads do work well, but so does a properly balanced tire with weights

The pressure you run depends on personal prefference, Load, and type of riding. Since I have a 2012 and (2) 09's before that, I always ran the pressure at 35 to keep the TMPS light from blinking. Most guys run the ZP tires between 28 and 32 psi, Standard tires can be run as high as 42 psi.

Over on GL1800 riders there is so much information on the Dark side thread, it will make your head explode.

At the moment, I still have the stock rear tire on my 2012 but I am leaving Savannah. GA on the 16th of June for California. I will have a Michelin Aplin ZP on the back before I roll out of here.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the effort and info. I did see later a post in the tire section that showed all the tires available for the 1800 but somehow I missed that when I posted this. I keep hearing about how wonderful the C/T works on the GW and how many miles they get but you never see a picture of any that are in use. Always a picture of the freshly mounted tire. I was/am interested in seeing what one looks like after say 15,000 miles. Thanks again for the reply....Isaac

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Chopin runs a c/t on his 1800. Send him a PM. I have a Dunlop RF on my 1500 but only a few thousand miles so far. Happy with mine and still looks new. Run 32 psi and will get a TPMS soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The worn out C/T's that I have removed from the bike, don't look any different that the worn out tires that would come off a car.

Here is a great idea for you to help determine the correct air pressure for you and your bike. Get yourself a bottle of white shoe polish and paint a white stripe across the tread of the new car tire. Tire should be warm and you should do this on the side of a long straight road. Let the polish dry for a few minutes. Now, take off and get up to speed for a half a mile or so. If the polish is worn off in the center, then the tire is over inflated.

You get the picture

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The worn out C/T's that I have removed from the bike, don't look any different that the worn out tires that would come off a car.

Here is a great idea for you to help determine the correct air pressure for you and your bike. Get yourself a bottle of white shoe polish and paint a white stripe across the tread of the new car tire. Tire should be warm and you should do this on the side of a long straight road. Let the polish dry for a few minutes. Now, take off and get up to speed for a half a mile or so. If the polish is worn off in the center, then the tire is over inflated.

You get the picture
Got it...good idea...thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Check out what I picked up on the way home.....
What do you call a car tire on the luggage rack???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Hey Phil, someone said they saw you riding on the darkside of the road today in Alabama. Any truth to this sinister rumor?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hey Phil, someone said they saw you riding on the darkside of the road today in Alabama. Any truth to this sinister rumor?
Nahhh....just thought I should protect my luggage rack

Hahahaha. Congrats. Next ride you lead.
Hahaha....ha........Ummmm NO!!!
I lead the Bunny Slope. You lead the Double Black Diamond.;)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
That's because this is the best site Isaac. I messed around a bit on some of those others. Than found this & never looked back.:D

Just not a F.W.;)

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
That's because this is the best site Isaac. I messed around a bit on some of those others. Than found this & never looked back.:D

Just not a F.W.;)
Another code word cowboy; F.W.?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Just not a F.W.;)
I agree but I also don't get "FW".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts