Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrome lovers, look away!

I bought a used 2006 wing early this year and I like the white, but I was never much for all the chrome the previous person had put on...I started pulling off chrome, then I started getting interesting in Vinyl wrap and I started wrapping parts of the wing in flat black. 53 pieces later, I admittedly got carried away...I am pretty pleased with how it turned out though. Thoughts?

Kneedle

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I think I like it. Vinyl wrap??? How is it on cleaning, durability and holding its color? Oooo - It would have looked really good black and white.:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Hmmmmm.... Underneath that black rap there lies a white wing ? Talk to me kneedle. I won't cover my white wing but I would cover some of the chrome covers in black. I would particularly be interested in doing the front garnish shelter and lower side plates.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I've got an interesting question, if the bike is registered as white on the registration and you get pulled over and it is now black, what will the outcome be? I know some officers can be azzhats.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
That first picture looks something like it was taken at Life Style power sports in Mt Vernon, Washington ??

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Hmmmmm.... Underneath that black rap there lies a white wing ? Talk to me kneedle. I won't cover my white wing but I would cover some of the chrome covers in black. I would particularly be interested in doing the front garnish shelter and lower side plates.
I think I would like it from the tank to the front. I like the black as a trim. Would love to know more about it too.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Another thing I noticed....You have a garage running over in Sweeeettt rides:cool: No junk in your yard;)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
So how hard was it to get the bubbles and wrinkles out??? How long did it take all together?? And how much $$$...

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Excellent job Kneedle. Like Two Wheel asked How long did it take. Hey by the way I'm with you that chrome crap is just plain gawdy in my book.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I like it. Vinyl wrap??? How is it on cleaning, durability and holding its color? Oooo - It would have looked really good black and white
3M says to clean it like you would paint and protect/polish it with Mequires quick wax. I just completed it, so I can't really comment on durability from a longevity standpoint, but I can tell you that if you stretch it then its going to turn pretty thin and frail. I think the vinyl protection wrap (aka clear bra vinyl) is 10 mils thick, and this stuff is 3.5 mils thick. Regarding holding its color, 3M says 6 years outdoors and unlimited indoor life. Regarding black and white..Ohhh man this thing looked so like a cop bike there for a couple days while I was working on it! The neat thing is, I can peel back parts and make it look that way if I want!

My biggest concern now is the heat...Its a chilly fall here and I completed this in October. How this is going to hold up in the sun on a 90 degree day is going to be the true test. It might be a castle in the sand waiting for the high tide of a sunny day...But I hope not! I took a lot of care to seal the edges properly using 3m edge sealer 3950. I let it idle outside on a sunny day for an hour and it got a bit warm but nothing like I know it will get when the July sun hits it.

I've got an interesting question, if the bike is registered as white on the registration and you get pulled over and it is now black, what will the outcome be? I know some officers can be azzhats.
Interesting question indeed! I have no idea...I guess I'd pop the trunk or gas door and show the orig. color.

That first picture looks something like it was taken at Life Style power sports in Mt Vernon, Washington ??
Actually that was taken when I bought it at Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza in Colorado Springs. I then rode it home, via Reno, San Francisco, up Hwy 1 to 101 then to Seattle. Epic!

Another thing I noticed....You have a garage running over in Sweeeettt rides No junk in your yard
:cool: I'm a lucky man!

So how hard was it to get the bubbles and wrinkles out??? How long did it take all together?? And how much $$$...
The bubbles aren't really a problem on the 3m 1080 stuff I used, it has these microscopic air channels in the back and before its really pressed down with a squeegee, the air bubbles disappear like magic with the press of a finger. The wrinkles...Meh...the more you heat it and stretch it, the more you get to futz with the wrinkles. Its an art that you get better at after you do it a bunch, but I don't know if I could really quantify how hard it is or isn't. It does require patience, and it does get easier...but the first time you try to wrap a mirror is a giant pain the ass. The third time is a lot easier and comes out a LOT nicer.

Regarding how long I'd say about 100-130 hours total to take it all apart, clean it, prep it, wrap it, and put it back together...But really..its hard to say since I did a lot in between.

Cost was around 300 total for the vinyl, 3M Edge Sealer 3950, 3M Primer 94 and various other tools. I could do the entire bike again for about 200 now that I have the tools and a little more know how.

Thanks again for the compliments! This was my first try so I just did a lot of research on youtube on vinyl wrapping, talked to my local sign shop and started with the small bits.

I hope that answers the questions, but let me know if you have others.

Kneedle

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Thanks for the answers....I really like its potential.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
One of my riding buddies son (he's in the Army) had some thing like that done to his sport bike. Had it done in a desert Camo finish. He was telling us, the process he had done they floated finish on a water bath and the parts were raised from underneath. Would really like to see this done. Had the wheels done also.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
One of my riding buddies son (he's in the Army) had some thing like that done to his sport bike. Had it done in a desert Camo finish. He was telling us, the process he had done they floated finish on a water bath and the parts were raised from underneath. Would really like to see this done. Had the wheels done also.
I'll pass on the Camo wrap. I have enough trouble being seen as it is:)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hydrographics!

I think this is what you're talking about doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=iP7BKHU4WUc

It's really neat and I may take my fairing inserts/radiator accents (I don't know what to call them) to have this process done. Search youtube for Hydrographics if you're interested in more. Now if I could just figure out how to do it in my bathtub :)

Kneedle

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Neat stuff, technology can be a wonderful thing.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
. Regarding black and white..Ohhh man this thing looked so like a cop bike there for a couple days while I was working on it! The neat thing is, I can peel back parts and make it look that way if I want! Kneedle
That's the look I'm looking for, very suggestive . We have a local graphic sign company that does our company trucks. I should pay them a visit and inquire. I would start with the lower chrome covers.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's a very cool look Kneedle. I love the possibilities for owners that have finish blems and don't want to go the body-shop repair route. Great idea and thanks for posting this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts