Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a long ride with a couple chapters of SCRC today. Stopped and started a few times, no problem. Leaving from Carthidge, Moore county to head back towards Raleigh, I noticed the idle didn't want to stay up and it was so low, the engine stopped a couple times. I re-started eaach time and on the ride home at stops, the idle was fine.
Stopped for gas, started fine but the radio was all out of whack, the CB took its time coming on, and I couldn't re-set the trip. Hmmm..... so I turned the radio on and off a couple times and got that working ok. Almost to the house, split off from the last two riders and I decided to show off my "new to me" bike to my car salesman bud. Went I went to re-start, key on, displays on but when I turned the key, ALL WENT BLANK. Key off, key on...NOTHING! Bummer, yes?
The voltage readout on the ride was a consistent 14.1 throttle on, around 12 at idle. I checked the fuses, all good. Swapped out the realys, same. Pulled the "car like" fuse in the black holder next to the battery and it looked like it had a bit of corrosion on one side but didn't look blown. Put it back, turned the key and flashing display but few seconds everything BLANK. One of the guys brought out a jumper box, started right up.
I now have the battery out and will clean up the connectors, along with the ground once I find out where it is grounded to the frame and I will replace that one fuse.
In retrospect, earlier that day, even before we stopped for lunch, I thought I heard a loud POP from the bike and even thought I smelled an electrical smell from time to time. Lots of smells on the road anyway so i discounted it. Hey, its a 26 year old bike, what could go wrong. LOL
Not sure if I was stressing the system by trying to key my mike with no results but the radio getting all messed up from key off and on should have alerted me.
Okay, all that said......any more ideas? I need all the helpI can get
John Rooney
Raleigh, NC

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi John,
You may want to check the dogbone fuse out and check rectifier, I dont know if you are familiar with the procedure of hard wiring the the 3 yellow wires from the stator but it would be advisable if you have not done yet. There is a full explanation on both on the GL 1200 site here is the link.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php?sid=aa220bb2c4b1151b6b495e5b373273c9

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection from the battery, or a bum battery. The displays will blink and you will lose radio memory with a low battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides all the wires going here and there, there is a black box with a plug in. Getting the box out and unplugging it, I see a sic prong male pin set. Now the box is out, what is it? LOL I have to admit I am a bit of a numnut on this stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery seemed to be okay. Where does the display of volts come from that I see ont the digital display? It consistently read around 14.1 or so while I was riding and around 12.4 at idle. The connectors looked good and the battery took a couple hours to hit a full charge with the trickle charger on. Hmmm.....I may have to pop for a new battery but I also want to make sure juice is going into it when the bike is running.
Multimeter set on AC or DC? Touch on pos and neg when the bike is running, yes?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Set on DC you should read approx 14v to 15v at 2000/ 2500 rpms.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was some ignition switch problems with the 1200's as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts