Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Come on. Tell me you never turned something on that didn't smell like fish .
Hehehe HEHE. My 63 VW bug did have a stink to it. But I did take it to Jersey a lot when we would cross the bridge to drink.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Premium Member
23,840 Posts
No don't do it - nothing will wreck your switches better than this stuff:surprise:

And riding on a car tire will cause you to crash and burn. Hehehehe. If I've said it once I've said it more than necessary: You are not spraying the actual contacts on any switch. Those contacts are buried in the switch housing. You're only lubricating the mechanisms that make or break the actual contacts. Those are what get sticky. If the actual contact go south, the switch is gone. WD-40 frees up friction parts. Plus, it is safe on sensitive skin !

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually the problems with WD40 is it turns to tar so if you spray it on the moving part it helps temporarily then turns to glue.

Just trying to help here so please don't take it too seriously. I do use WD40 for burning ants, I guess it does have a use after all. :)

·
Premium Member
23,840 Posts
Actually the problems with WD40 is it turns to tar so if you spray it on the moving part it helps temporarily then turns to glue.

Just trying to help here so please don't take it too seriously. I do use WD40 for burning ants, I guess it does have a use after all. :)

All the sticky buttons and switches I have used it on so far are fine. I had the infamous starter switch issue four years ago. Hit it with a convenient spray of WD-40 and haven't done it again since. " Temporarily " is the indefinite word.

·
Premium Member
16,986 Posts
This coming from a guy that tries putting his wing on the center stand with only socks on his feet.:wink2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brake cleaner spray works best to free up stuck switches on the Wing. It does not leave a sticky residue over time like WD40.

You can also use a can of spray electrical contact cleaner beside the switches as you have them pushed, operate them multiple times as you spray in there. Keep working them and spraying till they work smoothly. You might want to keep a rag under the switch to catch the drips and cover your fairing and windshield to protect from over spray.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Can someone explain the above rant about Honda's replacement switch?

Why would they not have all the original switches in the replacement part?

What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
If you want to lube the switchs use a product called gun butter, i use it on all my guns and switches , why becuase dirt and dust wont stick to the oil.
You want the pen oiler, got along and skinny tip. If you look down at the lower midwest dealers you might even notice someone you may know.

www.gunbutter.com

Reactions: Chopin

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Can someone explain the above rant about Honda's replacement switch?

Why would they not have all the original switches in the replacement part?

What am I missing here?

Probably a brain!
Joker, you are probably missing nothing. The purpose of the lubrication of switches is that Honda has an extremely high price on replacement ones. Someone quoted approximately 200.00 for one switch. Not sure which uno.

·
Premium Member
16,986 Posts
Get some electrical contact cleaner and a can of canned air flush the switch with the cleaner while working it till comes free then flush again with contact cleaner then blow the gunk out with the canned air.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mcald7790. The guys have given you the best advice. If you find the need to take the switch apart, make preparations ahead of time for tiny parts flying out and disappearing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got (2 days ago) a new to me 2008 Wing with Navi and my fog switch is pressed in, I’ve taken the panel off and sprayed electronic contact cleaner all inside with no success. Is there something else I can do, if the button is pushed in wouldn’t the lights be on? Any help would surely be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,840 Posts
I just got (2 days ago) a new to me 2008 Wing with Navi and my fog switch is pressed in, I’ve taken the panel off and sprayed electronic contact cleaner all inside with no success. Is there something else I can do, if the button is pushed in wouldn’t the lights be on? Any help would surely be appreciated.
Indeed, if the switch is depressed, the lower cowl lights " should " be on. If you press the depressed switch, does it pop up ?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 68 Posts