Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had bikes (never a Harley) since my "71" 750 Honda. The last two were Yamaha FJR 1300's. Almost 100K miles on them since 2002. Wife loves to ride, and I got the wing for her comfort. So far (500 miles since Saturday on my 2010 1800) I like it. Can't wait until I get it up in the mountains.
Three things I find strange, and comments are welcome. Why not offer ABS without the Navigation and XM radio and the huge price increase. The FJR comes with ABS and it saved my butt a couple of times. Would have loved to have it on the wing, but... Also why not put a 12VDC plug on it. Almost nobody wouldn't use it at some point. Standard on the FJR. And the other, it seems to me another gear or a higher over drive gear would be great. I would think 2500 RPM at 80-MPH would not strain that engine at all. Have these issues been discussed before in this forum?

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your new Wing. Many of the topics you bring up have been discussed but we are always glad to chime in about them again. A lot of us would like to see ABS as an option on the base model but unfortunately Honda wants to only offer it on the higher end models. Perhaps the new model will have it as standard. Perhaps their thinking is that sport bikes benefit more from ABS because of the way they are ridden. Just my guess.

As far as a 6th gear. That too is something that some of us would like, but because of the power of the 1800 it's not really an issue for most. At most cruising speeds (60-70 mph) the Wing just loafs along yet if you crack the throttle, it moves out very quickly in 5th gear for passing. If you went to a 6th gear you might lose that quickness without having to downshift. JMHO.

Even with a great bike like the Goldwing there is always room for improvement. That's why we keep buying newer models. Ride safe and enjoy the site.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First off, welcome Steve, and yes very valid points. I have the same feelings and I'm a dealer. I'm constantly harping on my DSM about these and the electric windshield (another Big goof I think) and pricing disparity between USA and CDN models/options. Honda could save alot of prodution cost by streamlining production runs since everything in North American production is so similar. Maybe in the new plant in Japan that will be a necessity but what do I know? I like the idea of a 'base' model, but it isn't availble up here (just airbag or no airbag):confused: Any way welcome again and enjoy the site and your bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts