Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have planned our 1st short trip for the end of the month. 4 day get away. Leaving home heading up to Michigan for a trip around Lake Michigan. Cant wait to get rolling.
Once I see how the wife handles a shor trip we will plan longer trips. Ive road bikes for years off and on. I dont have issues with long trips.
My wife has never been on a long trip. What recommendations do you guys have to keep her from getting turned off in the future? I dont want to turn this ride into an endurance ride for her.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Stop often, about every hour and a half if needed, and do things she wants to do. Most ladies like to stop in unique places and browse around a while. That's why most stores in these towns have benches out side, for the guys to sit on!! Ride easy the first day or so until she gets the feel of being on the bike. We usually ride about an hour and then stop for breakfast, ride another couple hours and stop for a snack (McD's or fast food, usually just a soda) then we ride until until 3 or 4 p.m. and get a motel and then dinner, then back to the room to relax or go to the pool. At your gas stops hang around for 15 minutes or so and relax and stretch, it's a vacation, take your time and enjoy and sight see. If you plan on traveling a lot, like we used to, I would think about getting a trailer. Makes it so much easier on packing. My wife loved her arm rests and her cup holder also.
Here is my happy little lady and I about 15 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Parman, Here's a couple for you.

1. Don't ride until she's tired that can be the kiss of death. I would keep it to 100-125 miles for the 1st couple hundred. You're going to need fuel around 200-225 anyway. So that will give you 2 stops right away. After 4 or 5 times of that then maybe you can try stretching one for a complete tankful.

2. Make sure she stays hydrated. I know my little lady has the tendancy to not drink as much so she doesn't need to p#* but that is the worst thing they can do. I made sure that we crossed that bridge planning for a x-country trip, I told her she needs to drink.

3. Make sure you have raingear. Do not rule out that if it is a chilly that you have wear her rainsuit to "cut the wind" believe it works.

4. This one is easy & doesn't really have to be metioned but KEEP HER FED. This kind of goes with #2.

5. Talk to her every once in a while, keep her engaged it will help her pass the time. That is until she tells you to keep quiet so she can nap. Yes mine does even though I tell her she shouldn't.

6. Here's the biggest one & this is your task. Do Not drive erratically, no sudden movements (unless you need to). DO NOT SCARE HER! If you need to react make sure you let her know what your doing. When you go to stop let her get off before you try to manuever the bike. It will make her more comfortable.

7. Stay in a nice hotel. I prefer Hamptons, Courtyards, Country Inns, & Holiday Inns. Our idea of roughing it is when the hotel doesn't serve a hot breakfast.:D Seriously though a good nights sleep will help her ride longer in the day.

I hope this helps sorry if I bored you & I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with things that have slipped my mind.

Most Of All Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I'd go the other way.. Read her the riot act. Tell her in no uncertain terms.. When you start out 2 things will be true. The gas tank will be full and the bladder will be empty... and you will ride until 2 things are true... The gas tank will be empty and the bladder will be full...

NOW THAT SAID... I'M NOT MARRIED AND I MOSTLY RIDE ALONE. LOL..... (ps. don't let my daughter see this post or my name is mud....)

·
Registered
2 Posts
michigan trip?

whee ar eyou leaving..I was thignk of goign to MI from Ft Lauderdale so I was thinking of being there on the 4th or 5th of July and stay until the 11th and begin to return!
what is you schedule? got to GWRRA back issue NOV.2009 and see the articve entitled..Gee..I wish she would go with me"[email protected] www.ride2up.com a great articel about making her feel comfortable and relaxed...
thanks..

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
welcome to GWOF warbox andwhere are you located ? parman, how did the wife like the trip

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Yeah Parman, Did you have fun? Did she have fun? Give us the Scoop. Did you use any of our advice & did it work out? Most of all WILL SHE RIDE AGAIN?:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She bailed out on me. Probably a good thing. I was almost run over Saturday and she would have been done riding for good. I thought I was going to get it. My son said he doesn't know how I got the bike stopped before she hit me. I told him it's because I alway start scanning the entire intersection long before I get to it. I saw this truck coming and knew it was traveling to fast to stop. It was a real close call at an intersection had I not been paying attenton. A lady ran through the intersection and came back across into the ditch in front of us. It was a 2 way stop and I had right-a-way. I believe her brakes went out. I also got cought in one heck of a rain storm Monday on the way home. Rode almost a 100 miles in the rain.
She has been going on some short rides with me. I'll get her on a longer one later this year.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
the little wumminz

She must be comfortable, period. Creature comforts met, food, stop 2x a day to shop and see stuff and show off. Make 300 miles a day instead of 600. Mine has a bladder the size of a June pea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts