Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, all. I'm Bo, living in southern Mississippi and new to Wings. After riding HDs for nearly 40 years, I just bought my first Wing Oct 30, a 2015 model. Absolutely love the machine and I'm learning all I can about it. Making a decision tonight about bike tires vs darkside, something I'd been considering on my HD. My brother-in-law runs dark on an '03 Wing and I've ridden his, so I'm at least aware of what it's like. That subject and many others are something I hope to learn more about in the forums.

Retired since 2015 after 40 years in aerospace (fighter aircraft weapons, flight test, engineering). Wife 1.0 rode with me for many years before she shuffled off the mortal coil. Now married to Wife 2.0 who shows little interest in riding, but she has two sister-in-laws who are gently campaigning for her to join the crowd. The smoothness of the Wing may help with that. (She did ride a couple of times with me on the HD, a 2017 Ultra Limited. On the first ride, I set a leisurely pace. At a stop sign, she asked me, "Does this thing go any faster?" Maybe I shouldn't have showed her HOW fast!)

I tow a Mini Mate camper, while my BIL and brother both tow Time Outs. We camp for 3-5 days at a location and ride the surrounding territory as often as we can, mainly throughout the Southeast. Planning out an excursion to the Left Coast next year. The more I ride the Wing, the more I'm looking forward to that trip.

Looking forward to getting to know you folks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Howdy, all. I'm Bo, living in southern Mississippi and new to Wings. After riding HDs for nearly 40 years, I just bought my first Wing Oct 30, a 2015 model. Absolutely love the machine and I'm learning all I can about it. Making a decision tonight about bike tires vs darkside, something I'd been considering on my HD. My brother-in-law runs dark on an '03 Wing and I've ridden his, so I'm at least aware of what it's like. That subject and many others are something I hope to learn more about in the forums.

Retired since 2015 after 40 years in aerospace (fighter aircraft weapons, flight test, engineering). Wife 1.0 rode with me for many years before she shuffled off the mortal coil. Now married to Wife 2.0 who shows little interest in riding, but she has two sister-in-laws who are gently campaigning for her to join the crowd. The smoothness of the Wing may help with that. (She did ride a couple of times with me on the HD, a 2017 Ultra Limited. On the first ride, I set a leisurely pace. At a stop sign, she asked me, "Does this thing go any faster?" Maybe I shouldn't have showed her HOW fast!)

I tow a Mini Mate camper, while my BIL and brother both tow Time Outs. We camp for 3-5 days at a location and ride the surrounding territory as often as we can, mainly throughout the Southeast. Planning out an excursion to the Left Coast next year. The more I ride the Wing, the more I'm looking forward to that trip.

Looking forward to getting to know you folks!
Welcome to the Forum from SE Michigan. A lot of great people and information on here. I ride a 2005 30th Anniversary edition, no darkside for me. The wing has plenty of guts and handles great. Enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on getting a Wing.

Reactions: MSBo57

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome. We like pics.

There exists a specific discussion forum for the GL1800 darkside experiment. Using your favorite search engine with "GL1800riders & darkside" should discover it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I have a "12" wing. I am a darksider. I run the car tire because of the run flat option. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a thread on this forum titled something like "Darksiders Only."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decision got made for me. Dropped by a local bike shop to check tire availability and prices. Rear tire went flat before I got across the street. Shop generously got me in this afternoon to put new rubber on. Oh, well...I'll study up on darksiding later!

·
Super Moderator
14,458 Posts
Welcome to you, also from South Mississippi. Since you were in the aerospace field, I'm guessing the Diamondhead area? We lived in Bay St. Louis for many years but moved up to the Jackson area back in 2009. That is where I bought my first Wing which I still have. We recently moved back south to Wiggins where we plan to retire. My wife already has (probably) and I will some time between next spring and winter 2022.

Which bike shop? I'll be looking for one to work on the bike if needed and I will be looking for a new one maybe next summer.

If you want to meet up just let me know. Always looking for someone to share a ride with.
2018 07 07 Fire Station #7 1910, Vicksburg.jpg

Reactions: Silver-Surfer

·
Registered
589 Posts
Welcome from Chocolate town Pa and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF the best Wing forum on the web from the Keystone state. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome from another one from the Magnolia State. I live outside kosciusko and I also have a 15 after Harleys. You will love the WIng.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you looked into suspension upgrades? They help with handling and tire longevity. Don't ask me which set-up you should use......I went down that rabbit hole and sadly I am so lost and confused haha. But seriously look into Traxxion(expensive but worth it) or Progressive(cheaper and easier to install). All the best!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from central Michigan! I added a wing to my stable this year, but I've been on the forum with these great folks for 3 years or so. Gonna spend my first winter in FL this year and hoping to swing over your way some time during my stay in the south. Cheers!

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from central Michigan! I added a wing to my stable this year, but I've been on the forum with these great folks for 3 years or so. Gonna spend my first winter in FL this year and hoping to swing over your way some time during my stay in the south. Cheers!

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33
If you do make sure you let us know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts