Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i just Bought my first goldwing sunday 7/7/2012 it is an 85 GL1200 LTD the bike is in beautiful shape however it is older and i worry about a lot of things. First, i went to check the oil clymers says there is a dipstick, well i screwed off the cap and it is just a cap. How much oil should i put in? second, How do i use the reverse? Third i hit the auto level button while sitting on it in my parking lot and front pumped up to 13 and the back started pumping up and got to 65 before i panicked and turned it off. what range is the safe range for the PSI on the auto level?

All my previous bikes were sports bike, this is my first touring bike.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but I think max front is 8 psi and rear about 58psi. William has a 1200 so hopefully he can say or one of the members that still does can be more exact. Find out if the stator has been hard wired and had the harness insulated and if the timing belts have been done. Other obvious things to check are tires and hoses etc (rubber parts), coolant and brake/clutch fluids.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. and more ??'s.

well... I guess thats why i cant figure out how to use the reverse. i really bought this bike with no info, it ran, the body and frame are in EXCELLENT almost mint condition, all the electronics work, and i drove it 140 mile to where i bought it to home without a single problem. so the 2500 i had invested into the boat i traded for it i feel comfortbale with the deal. ill have to look closer it probably was the oil fill lid i took off ill have to look for the dipstick. ty. also on the dash there is a little screen with a voltage reading on with a key slot next to it. what is this key slot for?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like a sweet ride! The key hole you are asking about is to remove the radio..it just slides out, sometimes the pins at the back of the radio can get bent or dirty causing issues but it's not a big deal. it may never come up..just mentioning so you will be aware..enjoy your ride!:D

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
The key slot is how you take the stereo head out of the dash. Turn the ignition key in the slot and the head pulls out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info everyone

Here is my new ride, any ideas on dressing it up let me know chrome things like that without doing away with its original beauty
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Mode of transport

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire Motor vehicle

Oh and the bottom left of the side picture i am missing a red lens cover, anyway idea where to get thos kind of parts?

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
To the best of my memory the fill hole and the place where the dip stick goes are one and the same. My 85 had a dip stick. The previous owner had fashioned a tool that allowed you to remove the dip stick while the motor was hot without burning yourself.
You have a great looking motorcycle, I loved mine. I hope your stator was changed. If you need a dip stick they should be easy to find. How many miles are on it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stator?

Im sorry i dont know what a stator is, it has 66k on it i did find the dipstick more down by the brake pedal. now i need to drain oil out cause i filled it like i used to on my other bikes where the fill hole was the only hole to see the oil. it is a great looking bike i feel and cant wait till i figure out all the little problems with it and get it fixed. im pretty proud of it and feel my trade was well worth it but time will tell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great looking ride you got, congrats. Wished I had known about this forum when I had mine. These guys can be real helpful. The only real problems I had were the stator, which is what you would call your altenator , and it wallowed a little in the turns. But it did ride smoother than my 06.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello agleason, welcome to GWOF. not much chrome left out there for a 1200 wing

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and congratulations on a fine looking Classic Wing! Several of us here have mid-'80s 1200s and we'll be glad to help anyway we can. I like mine alot, too!:D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I might have the part you need.

(Thank you, trike lady. :))

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Try www.wingstuff.com for accessories for that bike. It is an LTD so it had a bigger stator. You said you didn't know what a stator is, it's the charging system on the 1200 Wings. It would be like an alternator, and most of them were bad, But like I said earlier, the LTD ans SEI had an upgraded one so you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Nice looking Wing. Ride safe and welcome to the forum...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts