Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the yesterday I took out my wing after getting her battery from Autozone after being charged. I forgot that the rpms have to be over 1000 in order to charge the battery and I was trying to find out why my on board compressor wasn't working and well i drained the battery. Any who I took her across the street into a small parking lot and rode her around a bit. I found that I need to adjust the controls a little(if I can?), so I can grip the clutch and break better. She handles OK but I think I need to get her on the open road before I can really get a good feel for her. I would also like to know if their is a way to move the heal toe shifter so that its a little more comfortable for me. Then again I've never had a heal toe shifter before so it might just be a learning curve for me. I also think i fixed the squishy breaks by using that zip-tie idea, because it was a whole lot firmer when i took it off. Should I do it a few more times?

Today a friend let me try their 87 interstate I found that it was a whole lot lighter then mine. I mean it felt really light compared to mine. Now hers doesn't have the the on board compressor or some of the other bells and whistles mine has. So I am guessing that's part of it. Though I did notice that her rear tire seems to be bigger then mine I think mine are both the same size. I haven't taken the time to really look at the tires to see their size. Bit I have a pdf of the Haynes repair Manuel and plan on looking it up. I also have a digital copy of an Aspencade owners Manuel. Though I don't know what year its for. but everything seams to be the same.

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
What is the "zip tie idea?" I looked at your intro thread and didn't see it.

Don't know the weights of the two bikes you rode, but there is more to "feeling heavy" than the weight of the bike. Start with the tires. My manual for Mr. T ('85 1200 Aspencade) calls for 32 lbs. front and 36 lbs. rear. The popular opinion on this Forum seems to be more like 40-41 lbs. front and rear. Makes a big difference in how heavy the bike feels. Our only measure of "heaviness" is side-to-side handling, so the harder the tires, the lighter it'll feel, to a point.

Once you're sure tire pressures are where you want them you head to the air-charged suspension. What is the LCD telling you about your front and rear suspension air pressure vs. the recommended range next to the reading? As important, are they holding pressure over several days, at least?

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
you cannot go by the manual for tire pressure unless you are using the tires that came from the factory so air those puppys up . charlaine the rear tire is too wide to fit the front without rubbing on something and the front tire is too narrow for the rear rim

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Definitely air them up, the bike will be very heavy/sluggish with low tires.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you I will try to air them up this weekend. I haven't been able to register her as of yet but will be soon so I'll have to sneak up to the gas station tonight if I can. My on-board compressor doesn't work. Also would the shocks not being aired right cause that as well. also would the shocks being over filled cause her not to come off the rear wheel when center stand is used?

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Thank you I will try to air them up this weekend. I haven't been able to register her as of yet but will be soon so I'll have to sneak up to the gas station tonight if I can. My on-board compressor doesn't work. Also would the shocks not being aired right cause that as well. also would the shocks being over filled cause her not to come off the rear wheel when center stand is used?
get youeself one of those slime mini pumps and keep it on the bike, about $20

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
In order to use the on-board compressor to air up the tires, the bike must have the handle bars locked.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
That's a neat tip, Kerry. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts