Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new Goldwing and am hearing different opinions on the first service. Some say 500-1000 miles and Honda is telling me 4000 miles. I am picking my bike up in the Midwest and driving it nearly 2000 miles home and am deciding if I need to find a dealer on my route home for a service. It is much more convient to wait until I get home, but I don't want any problems for my new bike. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland
I don't no about other goldwings but my 2010, 1800 first service was at 4000 miles , the dealer and the manual both said 4000

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
6500km/4000mile first service 12500km or 7700miles after that

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry about it. The book says 4000 so the Honda engineers think that's fine. I would take it easy for the first 300 mi as the book says and avoid full throttle starts. I think this is as much about tires and brakes as it is engine. I would keep an eye on oil level and tire pressure, and avoid running at a constant speed for awhile. I kept mine between 2k and 3k rpm for about the first 500 miles but that's just what it felt like the bike wanted to do. I don't think it would hurt to run it faster if that's what you need to do.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Skippy as the other guys have alluded this seems to be a bit of a ploy on the part of some dealers to earn some extra money (I would bet the dealer wants to charge you for it).

Like the other guys said follow Honda's lead & you will be just fine. Obviously you have certain obligations in that matter as well though. IE: Checking oil, final drive, coolant & tire pressure to name a few.

Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The above information is correct Skippy, 4000 miles in the owners manual and the service manual. Lots of folks will do an early oil change just to be certain there's no filings present, but if Honda's ok with 4000 miles, (they set the warranty parameters so) then you can feel good with it too. Don't let ANY dealer buffalo you into thinking it's required to save your warranty because it isn't..."I am a Honda Dealer!" albeit one in Canada.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle and congratulations on that new wing!

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just hit 1K on my 2012 so I changed the oil over to Mobil 1 4T and changed the filter as well. Next change and thereafter I'll use the K&N 'cuz I like the ease of changing the filter with the 17mm nut on it. Old oil looked like it was supposed to after just 1K miles, shoulda saved it and put it in my car LOL

·
Registered
515 Posts
Will be taking my 2012 in for it's first service on Saturday (4000K, I bought the ProCare). Obided by the owners manual and avoided sudden accelerations, and altered RPM's as much as possible, did a personal restriction of 2500rpm for the first 300. I decided to go old school and did a 500mi oil change, hind site told me I chould have saved the $$, oil was very clean as it drained.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have an 04 with 113,000 miles. I thought the manual called for a 600 mile service. Im sure i did that mostly for the oil change. The oil was silvery looking, Im glad i changed it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the new bike!

I'm sure it would be okay to ride it home & then have the service done at 4K (or change oil prior to that if you like)

·
Registered
258 Posts
600 Mile Oil Change Wing's First Service

I used to work on helicopters in Nam. The choppers had magnetic plugs wherever there were fluid levels, i.e. tail rotor and engine. When the fluid levels were checked the magnetic plug would/may contain small magnetic particles from gear wear. When excessive, the fluid would be changed.

Using this rationale, I changed my 2010's oil at 600 miles to rid the Wing of any metalic sediment. I did have to pay for this service; however the next service at 4600 miles was free from the dealer. I don't know if the Wing's oil contained any metal filing or not, but I like to err on the side of caution. One man's opinion.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex

·
Registered
49 Posts
Driving my 2012 450 miles home tomorrow . Bought oil and filter from the dealer to change when I get home . Just what I've done on all my bikes .... figure it wont hurt .

·
Registered
768 Posts
on my St1300 that I used to have I changed the final drive oil at 1k and man it was nasty I am just over 1k on my 2012 wing and I am wondering how the final drive oil is.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I do my own service,,,,,,,,I did the first one at 2000 mi and then 4000 mi after that.......I just like to get the first one done in case there are any particles in there that shouldn't be....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts