Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 goldwing the bikes manual don't cover much about breaking it in ?any ideas ?its just says 300 miles to avoid full throtle and the dealer told me first oil change after 500 miles and the books states 1000 miles who is rite ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
XBAJBUSX, Follow the book. Honda knows their machines. I service my own and it's not hard. A number of years ago a dealer charged me $130. to service the Valykrie I had. It didn't take me long to start servicing it myself. These Wings are great bikes and not that hard to work on. CJ

·
Registered
691 Posts
The service manual reads at 600 mi then at 8000 or 30 days whichever comes first. (I know.) I am too old to change. So is my wing. I have allways changed oil in all gas engines every 3000 miles. Just ggot the Wing but will change oil and filter this weekend. Then, she goes to the shop for a bunch of work inc. all fluids and lubes. Back to that every 3,000 mi thing. My Dad (91 years old) tought me that way and it worked for him. Last summer he sold his road bike of some 20 years. Who knows how many miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Manual with my 09 says oil change at 4k miles. Nothing about 500/1000 miles. I'll stick with what the book says.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Manual with my 09 says oil change at 4k miles. Nothing about 500/1000 miles. I'll stick with what the book says.
Two
Mine is an 95 1500 so the bookk may differ but, I agree with you. Better more often than less is my belief.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When cars and bikes were carborated, oil change frequency was pretty important by 2000-3000 miles. Now, engine clearances are more precise, oils are more specific, and fuel injection helps control / reduce the non-spent fuel issues we once had. Remember, every time you change the oil, there's a very brief period of time the engine parts are not being lubricated until the oil pressure builds and fills the "system". Don't change mine any more than needed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Seems like there are a lot of differences in the manuals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the 08 the manual says 4000 miles...however there is no way I am going to leave all the metal shavings floating around in my engine after the initial break in for that long!! I just did my initial break-in of my new bike and am changing the oil at 30 miles and replacing it with Valvoline 10w/40 for the first 1500 miles. Then I will change the oil (where I will then start using Synthetic oil) until the 4000 mile check-up .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda has changed the oil change intervals but after the inital change you can safely go 8000 miles but I do change my filter every 4000 miles.
Ive known Honda dealers to blatantly lie to owners to scare them into service at the dealership. The service is where they make their true money.
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic everytime

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honda has changed the oil change intervals but after the inital change you can safely go 8000 miles but I do change my filter every 4000 miles.
Ive known Honda dealers to blatantly lie to owners to scare them into service at the dealership. The service is where they make their true money.
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic everytime
I do think it is great to have 4000 intervals for servicing...however oil changes, especially during break in, is NOT worth leaving those metal shavings in the bike that long. I did the break in and changed the oil and filter yesterday at 33 miles. Now I will run the regular car oil 10w/40 until 1500 miles and then change the oil...and run synthetic after that. The oil filter has me thinking though...why pay for all those oil filters when you can reuse a filter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my first GL. Its an 08. Guy who owned it said he did all the service. I've got a box of receipts. It's pretty low miles, approx 40k. I was planning an oil change and putting in a new air filter. What else would you recommend to get it ready for a summer of riding?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Just got my first GL. Its an 08. Guy who owned it said he did all the service. I've got a box of receipts. It's pretty low miles, approx 40k. I was planning an oil change and putting in a new air filter. What else would you recommend to get it ready for a summer of riding?
Start saving your money to buy gas! It will be worth every penny!!! :D:D
Ride safe

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Stick with the book recommendations and you'll be fine. Monitoring the oil condition is never a bad thing, if it's dirty, change it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are we all as concerned about our 4 wheel vehicles as our precious wings? I have never changed the rear end oil in the car unless it was leaking. I'm sure the wings are built to last for many many miles if we follow the service required by the manual. Ride safe and often.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My Wing is a 010 and I changed oil and filter and rear diff at 600 miles and put Hondas 10/40 in and Valvaline syn diff lube. I now have 3100 miles and plan on changing oils this weekend and clean the pcv tube. Replace with Amsoil 10/40. I leave for a trip south 6/13 so I want clean oil in then I will replace every 3 to 4 thousand.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The brakes should be bled every year and completely flushed the following year, that goes for the clutch as well. Ant-Freeze is every 2 years and so is fork oil.
My Wing is a 010 and I changed oil and filter and rear diff at 600 miles and put Hondas 10/40 in and Valvaline syn diff lube. I now have 3100 miles and plan on changing oils this weekend and clean the pcv tube. Replace with Amsoil 10/40. I leave for a trip south 6/13 so I want clean oil in then I will replace every 3 to 4 thousand.
Dang, every 3-4 on AMSOIL ? I want your business ! And your used oil .. LOL

Seriously, If you are using the Motorcycle Specific oils, and the AMSOIL EA Series filter. 8000 miles

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.