Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i took my first ride on an 1100 goldwing. my neice had a 1000 wing a few years ago that was totaled in an accident, last year she got an '85 ltd that had a bad stator but the po didn't tell her the frame was broken so she traded that an got an '82 naked wing and i took it for a ride. i like the shorter legnth of the 1000 but i like the torque of the 1100 motor

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 1st Wing was a 78 GL1000 and I was only 19, so I cut my teeth on a Wing...some would and Did call me Crazy for purchasing a Wing as my 1st Bike but I did well with it. I really Enjoyed the GL1000 and I still wonder WHY Mother Honda saw the Need to come this far with an 1800cc machine. Back then I rode 2 up also and never felt like I needed any additional Power or any Lack of Power for that matter and Servicing it was a Breeze. Not to mention, the Sale Price was Really Nice....I think around 4,000.00 or so. I would have rather seen them simply Improve the GL1000 and hold down the Pricing, Windjammers are Nice and Saddle Bags too but mine had those then and still plenty Power. I have heard people say they needed to Keep Up with Harley Davidson but in my Opinion all they done was Raise the Price Significantly and Leave Behind many people who would Love to Own newer Wings but the Price has Simply Gone thru the roof. I also owned a GL1200 and truthfully I could not tell a Significant Difference between it and my GL1000. I own a 1500 now and yes it has quite a bit more Power but it is also Top Heavy and not near as easy to Handle as my Older Wings, too bad parts are gettting so difficult to find for the Older Wings, if they were, I wouldn't mind owning one.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Wings have never had to 'keep up' with Harley Davidson. They did go head to head with them with the release of the Interstate (a direct assault on the E-Glide tour model) and the result we all know. From the get go, the Wing had better power, better handling, better brakes, and a reliability that left every other m/c manufacturer scratching their heads in wonder. Kaw tried, Suzi and Yamaha tried, and even BMW has given up trying to de-throne the GL from touring supremacy. The GL1000 was a tour capable standard when it was released, and the 1100 was just more of what the 1000 started. HD has a long and colourful history, but the motorized bicycle company that Sochiro Honda fathered has developed a classic following as well, one that will continue to grow as time marches forward.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the interstate 1100 was honda's way of getting into the aftermarket buisness that vetter, bates, and pacifico had a lock on. did a darn good job too with interstates and aspencades and by dropping the nakkid 1200 your only choice was a dressed wing. when my niece had her 1000 wing i got a chance to ride it from toledo to detroit and the 1200 feels like it has more ooph. after she had ridden my 1200 for a few weeks i asked her and she said that the 1200 had more ooph so i told her to ride her husbands ( '78 wing with a vetter package) result was 1200 had more oopmh, not that the 1000 wing is lacking and i would love to have a naked wing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts