Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 82 GL1100 out today for first time, I found out its really hard to shift gears with boots on and neutral is a bear to find. I have to keep in my mind how many gears I go through, had some trouble downshifting the gears. But boy that toe shifting, there has to be some trick to it. thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
maybe its the style of boot you are wearing, the engineer / harley style doesn't work well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no harleys, just workboots from wally world (dickies). maybe I'm trying to get too much toe under shifter. practise makes perfect. thanks have you ever tried those heel toe shifters from ebay, just wondering if they would work.

·
Registered
692 Posts
no harleys, just workboots from wally world (dickies). maybe I'm trying to get too much toe under shifter. practise makes perfect. thanks have you ever tried those heel toe shifters from ebay, just wondering if they would work.
... HOWDY ... RECLINER ... I TOO HAVE HAD TROUBLE SHIFTING MY 1200 ... SO WHAT I DO IS JUST USE THE LIP/EDGE ON THE SOLE FOR MY UP SHIFTS ... AND FOR NEUTRAL I DO A 1/2 CLICK DOWN FROM 2nd. GEAR ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Help for planning tour/adventure for either long weekend or 10 day trip

I have never taken a long trip/adventure and need advice from those that have been there, thats you guys...

My fellow rider has not committed to either a long weekend or 10 day adventure. So my questions are more generic at this point. I'll followup with a more specific posts, once I know the length and destinations.

Areas of questions/concerns:

1. Check any towing service or breakdown services I may or maynot already have. Your thoughts?

2. Have my mechanic checkout the bike but be sure to have him check xxxxx, xxxx and xxxxx. New tires/brakes, change final drive fluid, oil/filter and lube drive shaft are to be done. Plugs, battery and air filter changed if not done in less than a year. Same for cruise filter with check for any coolant leaks and hose condition.
So what was missed?

3. Verify insurance is covering what you think it does like being out of state or country and does it cover as much as you think it does in dollars. Anything here?

4. Med Scripts and over the counter meds for greater than your trip length. Check your Emerg med kit for any supplies needed. Thoughts here? What should be in the kit?

5. Extra clothes a for longer trip than planned and colder or wetter riding. Anything here?

6. Emergency Shelter (tent/sleeping bag/food/water/possible gasoline) and planned shelter. From Hotel reservations to planned couches with verified dates/times with others before you leave for the trip. With emergency shelter what options are available if you know no one and have no golden riders book?

7. Ways to deal with money on the road. Limited cash, credit/debit cards, travelers checks. Your thoughts and any other idea's?

8. What area have been missed or understated? Please fill in with as much detail as you have.

I did this at 2:20 am since I couldn't sleep with it on my mind. Please excuse me if my sleep is showing in my wording.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For your med kit: I carry bandaids, eye patch, 4x4 and 5x9 dressings, kling, betadine, triangle bandage and a magazine (emergency splint), Primatene mist and benadryl (emergency use for allergic reactions - epiPen is better), aspirin (signs of a heart attack or just plain headache), and eye wash (drops will work). I also carry Nitrile gloves, not latex because some people have latex allergies, and CPR mask. This would be in addition to any required meds - make sure they are not expired. ;) If you want even more, a spare cell phone battery that is charged, and a good tac light (Fenix TK12 with strobe capability for signaling).

I recommend to everyone to take a first aid class along with CPR -- should be required for new mothers and fathers (at least for cpr & choking). The main thing is to be prepared for something that will take you out before emergency services can arrive when far away.

Disclaimer: I am not a Dr, and he/she would be the one to talk to prior to using the above. I have been away from emergency services for over 5 years now so there may be improvements/changes out there. A commercial first aid kit should contain most of the above wth a few exceptions.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I have never taken a long trip/adventure and need advice from those that have been there, thats you guys...

My fellow rider has not committed to either a long weekend or 10 day adventure. So my questions are more generic at this point. I'll followup with a more specific posts, once I know the length and destinations.

Areas of questions/concerns:

1. Check any towing service or breakdown services I may or maynot already have. Your thoughts?

2. Have my mechanic checkout the bike but be sure to have him check xxxxx, xxxx and xxxxx. New tires/brakes, change final drive fluid, oil/filter and lube drive shaft are to be done. Plugs, battery and air filter changed if not done in less than a year. Same for cruise filter with check for any coolant leaks and hose condition.
So what was missed?

3. Verify insurance is covering what you think it does like being out of state or country and does it cover as much as you think it does in dollars. Anything here?

4. Med Scripts and over the counter meds for greater than your trip length. Check your Emerg med kit for any supplies needed. Thoughts here? What should be in the kit?

5. Extra clothes a for longer trip than planned and colder or wetter riding. Anything here?

6. Emergency Shelter (tent/sleeping bag/food/water/possible gasoline) and planned shelter. From Hotel reservations to planned couches with verified dates/times with others before you leave for the trip. With emergency shelter what options are available if you know no one and have no golden riders book?

7. Ways to deal with money on the road. Limited cash, credit/debit cards, travelers checks. Your thoughts and any other idea's?

8. What area have been missed or understated? Please fill in with as much detail as you have.

I did this at 2:20 am since I couldn't sleep with it on my mind. Please excuse me if my sleep is showing in my wording.

Try to combine things as much as possible when on a long trip. If you can get items that have multiple purposes, you will save a lot of space.
Promethieus covered #4 the meds so here's my take on the rest.

1. Towing services: hire a roll back to follow you on your trip. If you can, hire a driver who is a mechanic (covers 1 and 2)who also has a previous record of armed robbery(covers 3 thru 7). You can see how doubling up here really helps. You don't need to map out banks to knock off as they are pretty much everywhere. There, I think that covers it.

PS, I know it sounds expensive, but really, how much does this cost compared to the long list you had? Besides, the first bank job makes this whole adventure free anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Dear Recliner,
Your post, "first ride"
is not typical of this forum. And my apologies for continuing on.

There are one or two here that continuously ask mind numbing questions and ask them on different forums at the same time. They ask for immediate help to completely tear down a bike on Friday, then ask a zillion questions about a long road trip the next day. (I am not naming names here) They hijack threads like this without apology and I never give back.

It is just poor timing for you. Stick around and you will find a lot of great people here who will help answer questions and you will soon feel like a part of the community.

I am the blacksheep but I am here to learn and contribute as well.
Again, my apologies and enjoy the show...um forum!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
recliner,
Try a roper boot instead, these boots have a much lower toe and they fit under the shifter. If you have a western wear shop where you live or even a Tractor Supply Co. you can find them there too. I know TSC carries Justin Brand plus many others.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes recliner you sorta got walked on there; "most" of us apologise for that. I agree it could be the boots causing most of the grief but the bike is still new to you. Lots of bike have a neutral issue (except when you don't want to find it:eek:) and the half step from second gear is usually the ticket home. I wear dedicated touring boots when I ride (X Element) and they are pretty clunky and large but I don't have any problems whether I use the heel shifter or lift the toe-piece. Biggest thing is don't get in a hurry with the shifts and let yourself get accustomed to the bike.

·
Registered
793 Posts
OK I'm a bit confused here with the posts, but here I go. FLW, check into a membership with GWRRA. There are many benefits that go with that membership such as a road rescue program. I've heard good and bad about the program, but overall it's hard to get a good road assistance for the price. Also they will give you a copy of the Gold Book which is a complete listing of members willing to lend a traveler a hand. Also in the Gold Book is a listing of items that you should consider carrying while traveling and a general run down of state laws.
Packing for a 7-10 day trip is not all that easy to do on a Goldwing unless you are pulling a trailer. Pack for 3-4 days and figure in time for a laundromat. When the wife and I first started overnight trips and beyond, we each had a saddlebag to fit our stuff in and if it didn't fit, it didn't go. The trunk was set aside for high use/easy access stuff.
Cycle maintance should be always up to date and you should know your bike. A pre-season or post season inspection should be done as far as fluid changes, though regular oil changes may be needed through the season so no maintance items should be unexpected. Tires, lights and a few other items should be inspected daily. Otherwise a well maintained Goldwing should serve you well between oil changes.
Also if you have not programed your phone already with ICE, do so. ICE = In Case of Emergency which has become a source for emergency services to contact people that you decide to have contacted in case of an accident. You can program more than one ICE number also by labeling ICE1, ICE2, ICE3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts