Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a Goldwing for the last few months. I ride a Electra-Glide with 103,000 miles on it. Time to move up. I have reserved a Wing for the day Saturday and plan on putting some miles on it to make sure that it is what I want. I love my Harley but time to move on. What should I expect or watch for? I know it is heavier than mine but that is of no concern. I should be worried that I will want one right away. Looking forward to Saturday.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
WoW! Well a big bike is nothing new to you. You might feel a little high in the saddle for awhile. I hope it has highway pegs/ boards so you can stretch a bit.The handling is incredibly nimble. As for the weight, remember you are sitting " on " the gas tank, not looking over it. All the weight of this bike, except yourself, is closer to the ground than you are. Have fun and give us your impressions. Good and not so good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
You may want to keep an eye on the speed and when you grab a handful of throttle. I think you will find the Goldwing to be a little bit quicker on the acceleration. Enjoy the twisties and let us know what you think.

Have a great time and ride safe..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been wanting a Goldwing for the last few months. I ride a Electra-Glide with 103,000 miles on it. Time to move up. I have reserved a Wing for the day Saturday and plan on putting some miles on it to make sure that it is what I want. I love my Harley but time to move on. What should I expect or watch for? I know it is heavier than mine but that is of no concern. I should be worried that I will want one right away. Looking forward to Saturday.
I just sold my CVO Road Glide and picking up a new 2010 Wing this next Saturday. You will not notice any weight at all. In fact the Wing felt lighter to me due to all the weight being so low.

I understand what your going through making the decision. It's a totally different world. I'm hoping that maybe later to pick up a used Road King so that I have the best of both worlds.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
34 Posts
you will see how amazing the bike is and you cant wait to sell the harley the thing you wount like is at the end of saturday"s ride you will have to give the wing back and get on the harley

·
Registered
449 Posts
Picture driving a Ford something and deciding to just go ahead and move up to a mercedes E class.:D This is what easy street is all about.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What should I expect or watch for? I know it is heavier than mine but that is of no concern. I should be worried that I will want one right away.
THE MAIN THING TO LOOK OUT FOR IS WHAT COLOUR YOU WANT IT IN. ONCE YOU RIDE THERE'S NO TURNING BACK
( you have been wornd )

Lots of luck

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
differences

I think you will miss stump pull torque for a couple weeks. You will not miss the front wheel jumping up and down nor the handlebars vibrating your palms into numb fits. You must watch out for the Wing Wobble. This sets in at slow speed 20 - 40 and the front end will wobble till hel wont have it. This only happnes with hands off the bars. Milage is a little less on a Wing but HP is 104 at rear wheel. An accomplished 99 pound rider can do a quarter miler in the 12.5 - 13 sec range.

You can see the mirrors on a Wing and actually see behind you at 75 + mph. You can cruise all day at 95 mph if you wish with very little vibration. And a Wing does not sound like potato - potato - potato no matter how hard you wish it to. Wings sound like ...whirrrrrrrrrrr, thats about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you may percieve you miss the torque of the harley but the wing has more hp and tq. the wing is longer overall and has a longer wheelbase

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
There is very little difference in weight betwqeen the Ultra and a Wing, 889lbs, vs 908 for the Wing, and the CVO Ultra is actually heavier at 924 lbs. The Wing makes more horsepower and torque (118 hp/125lbs-ft) by a sizeable margin vs the CVO (hp is n/a and torque is 109 lbs-ft but HD says you don't need tirple digit horsepower figures to 'enjoy the ride'. Sour grapes Milwaukee?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang its only Tuesday. Reading the replys just makes me want Saturday to get here. Friday will certainly be a long day and a sleepless nite. Weather is going to be perfect this weekend so I should get in some good riding. That old Harley still gets me to and from work though. But I want more and the Wing should be perfect for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dang its only Tuesday. Reading the replys just makes me want Saturday to get here. Friday will certainly be a long day and a sleepless nite. Weather is going to be perfect this weekend so I should get in some good riding. That old Harley still gets me to and from work though. But I want more and the Wing should be perfect for me.
He's "clampin at the bit". Talk about an easy sale.:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Difference, weight- no problem, but when I picked up my 1500, after riding my 83 1200Venture, I felt like I was driving a bus! It has an oversize windshield, dash/fairing was lower and it rode like it was on a cushion of air. I was surprised with the 06 electra glide I rented in Daytona, wouldn't mind having one, but it would not replace the wing. And the Mrs. may not left you take it back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts