Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my '06 last weekend and took my first ride on it yesterday. Did about 175 miles and I tell ya I could ride this thing all day long.

I've spent the last 9 years on a '02 GSXR 1000 and this Wing is like night and day. Wow!

The weight is gonna be something to get used to. Pulling out onto roads from parking lots, turning at intersections, etc., you know, the slow speed stuff is really whats challenging me right now. I keep feeling like I'm gonna dump it to the inside. I know its just a matter of getting some experience with all this extra weight. Gotta get my clutch/throttle working together and I'll be fine.

rode one section of tight, twisty two-lane and I'm very impressed with the handling. This thing runs on rails.

Overall, I'm really glad I bought it. I did it mainly for the wife, but its definitely growing on me and I see many miles ahead for me and the Wing.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you wing. Remember a Happy Wife means a Happy life.
Just force yourself to enjoy it.:rolleyes:
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing from Pennsylvania. Wait till you really take it for a good ride,, say 600 miles or so. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bought my '06 last weekend and took my first ride on it yesterday. Did about 175 miles and I tell ya I could ride this thing all day long.
You sound like several other wingers I know, including me!! :)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Alabama will never look the same, noeyes. The most different motorcycle riding experience one could ever have. I well know what you mean and feel with the slow speed maneuvers. Once you scrape a peg you'll be fine after that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Noeyes I bought mine for the same reason, the wife. Traded my beloved Rocket lll for a Wing. Bought it without ever having riden one. I drove it up on the trailer and hauled her home. My first ride was really an eye opener. This couch handled almost as good as my crotch rocket (Speed Four). Love the Wing, it suits us both.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ya know what you mean about keeping the better half happy. you will love the bike the more you ride. i got a 86 aspen and the wife loves to ride. happy trails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys.

yeah, the wife has RA in her hips and riding the Gixxer longer than 15 minutes had her in sever pain. She loves to ride, so it was a no brainer for the 1K to go byebye. She lived a pretty sheltered childhood, so riding is like a new adventure to her. Me, nothing to it. I've never been without a bike since I was 10, now going on 47.

So, now we start the next chapter in our riding lives and I think its going to turn out most excellently. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I would never have got a wing. But that all changed when my wife said she would go on a bike trip in the USA. Not that it's a bad thing, it's a good thing to happen. The first ride with her on the sabre showed me it had to be a wing. She was in a lot of pain and so instead of waiting for our USA trip to get one. I went out and got one straight away. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i know what you mean about the weigh of the wing compaired to the previous bike. form '97 to august of '07 when i got my 450sc, three weeks later i got the 1200 wing

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum, noeyes. Yes, they are heavier, but you definitely can ride all day! :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Experiences like yours are why many of us call our two wheeled land yachts the touring bike with the heart of an RR sportbike. These things can really hustle in the corners and are like limos on the superslab. They can devour miles like kids eat icecream. Once fully accustomed to the slow maneuvers, they are easy as pie to dance around parking lots and driveways.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I too bought mine for the wife. She goes a little more often. But any ride with any kind of long distance the wing is the one I pull out on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The other day I headed back to the house after about 200 miles, and my wife said, "Are we going home already?" I turned off the intercom....:D

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
180 degree change.

The other day I headed back to the house after about 200 miles, and my wife said, "Are we going home already?" I turned off the intercom....:D
Badger, you should have turned the intercomm on and turned the volume up and told her u loved her. She is a treasure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.
Your wife must be a great woman to ride on a Gixxer with you let alone with RA....this will be a honeymoon.
Enjoy the ride...hope you two can share some travels together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined the Wing Family myself

I bought an 06 earlier this year and just completed a 1200 ride and knew that I could keep going. My wife liked the 2000 Roadstar but is really enjoying the Wing. We're also in Huntsville. Maybe see you on the road. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Stay off that front brake at slow speeds!

...the slow speed stuff is really whats challenging me right now. I keep feeling like I'm gonna dump it to the inside. I know its just a matter of getting some experience with all this extra weight. Gotta get my clutch/throttle working together and I'll be fine.
Make sure you stay off the front brake at slow speed when coming to a stop. Hit that front brake to come to a stop with the wheel turned and the momentum of the motorcycle's weight will just carry you over and you will not be able to stop it.... over you will go.

Slow and tight turns, coming to a stop, always remember - rear brake and feathering the clutch to help with turning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts