Honda Goldwing Forum banner

First Retirement Ride

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  RayJ 
#1 ·
On my first Saturday of the first week of retirement, to start this new gig out right, I planned to attend a historian led tour of the assault on the Railroad Redoubt at Vicksburg National Military Park. Since they wanted us to be there at 08:15 I needed to be on the road early. I left the house at 05:00 and headed north.
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Headlamp

The weather was great, temperatures were in the upper 60's all the way there. To get there on time I took the go-fast roads of US Hwy 49 and I-20. An advantage of getting up early was getting through Jackson by 07:00, just before the morning rush hour. Note; the I-20 road surface through Jackson is horrible, avoid it if you can. I was early and wandered around a bit before the tour.
Sky Plant community Plant Cloud Land lot

The tour was interesting. Not that I didn't already know the history, but his talk did fill in a lot of details. Such as that the majority of the troops on this line were Illinois and some Iowa regiments.
Sky Plant Shorts Tree Outdoor recreation

We are standing on the Union lines and the Railroad Redoubt is across the creek on top of that hill. The Confederate forces consisted of regiments from Alabama and Texas. The Texas Monument is on the top of the hill at the Railroad Redoubt. An Iowa Regiment was able to get into the Redoubt, pushing an Alabama Regiment out. But Texas troops counterattacked and drove the Union forces out.
Sky Daytime Cloud Shorts Temple

The day of this tour was the same day as the attack, 160 years ago. Afterwards I headed east along I-20 to MS Hwy 22, which has some good sweeping curves, up through Flora and over on Hwy 463 to Madison for lunch. After lunch I headed to my happy place; Barley's Beer Barn in Gluckstadt.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I had a pint while I picked out a variety of beer that I can't get in my area. Also while waiting for RayJ to ride down from his place for a visit. We are planning a big trip for July and talked over some details. We had a good visit and headed out together for home.
Sky Helmet Travel Automotive tire Beard

We headed east on Yandell Road to Hwy 43 and then south. At Hwy 25 RayJ took a left toward home while I continued down to Pucket. There I usually cut south on Hwy 13 to Mendenhall, but the gps suggested taking Hwy 541 that led down to Magee. Since I had never tried that road before it seemed like a good idea. It was, with more good sweepers and a nice country road down to US Hwy 49. There I zoomed south to the house. A little under 400 miles on the bike and it was an excellent day not in the office. So far, so good.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re-ti-re-ment? What is this word you speak of? :LOL:

Sadly, I'm one of those people who just can't see themselves retiring. I may not work full-time and have a lot more flexibility in what I do, but I'd drive myself crazy. After I broke my wrist in June of 2021 I was forced to go out on short term disability for 2 months. The first week was okay because I was still in a lot of pain. After that, I was bored out of my mind.

Congratulations though and thanks for sharing! I'm a bit of a history fan, so I always enjoy learning more. Great pics too!

#6 ·
If this upcoming ride with RayJ works out, I'll be going by places where I worked. In Washington, Idaho, and Colorado where I had my first job and wildfire.

#11 ·
Hey, I'm retired also, so I have a lot of time on my hands NOW (I can help you drink those beers) That's the kind of guy that I am!!! Always willing to help!! 🍻🍺🍺............
Ronnie
5/25/23
I'm always looking for a good co-conspirator.........
Wow, great post Mark. However I didn't see a big ole Stogie or a jar of your famous peach "juice".
Isaac
No good spot to enjoy a cigar, and that Peach was by Alabama Phil. I have some in the cabinet from a Georgia buddy but I haven't sampled it yet to see if it's as good.

#12 ·
Exactly one more year for me
Just finished the last day of school
And next year will be my last
Figured 36 years will be enough
Tired of teenagers parents more than the teenagers

#14 ·
Ok. The big ride from here starts sometime around July 1. Nothing in stone due to some work to be done. Not paid work but personal work. Going to the northwest corner to meet my New Zealand friend. See my friends up there including Betty Robertson. Bringing him to Mississippi from there. Mark is part of my family. We are doing this together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.