Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday I had my first opportunity to go on a real ride with the Wing. My brother (on his Concours) met me at my place after a 1400km ride to get here, and we rode into the BC interior for a few days, before heading to Manitoba where my brother and the rest of our family live. We were pretty well prepared but still both learned a few things on this trip. The total route taken was/is about 4800km (~3000miles). Both bikes ran great and the only issue encountered was that my left side valve cover bolts became loose early on and leaked a bit of oil (noticed it on my boot). I tightened them up and no more leak and no other mechanical issues. I admit that when I was working on it in the parking lot at a gas station and a few HD's came in, my thoughts were "How ironic! Sitting here fixing an oil leak on my GW with HD's all over the place!". One of the things I learned on this trip was that with no passenger, picture taking opportunities are VERY limited, but I thought I'd share what I could:

Day one, ready to go:

That day we rode 300 miles to Valemount, BC, stopping in at Jasper for a couple of hours just to look around a bit. Day two we rode from Valemount to Merritt. This is just outside Valemount:

When we arrived in Kamloops at a Tim Horton's it was raining and a lightening strike had left part of the city with no power so no Timmy's coffee that stop :-( . On to Merritt - raining all the way. We were supposed to camp at a Provincial Park that night but with the rain we decided to get a room.

The next day we rode to Kelowna. Pretty chilly ride that morning, up high in the mountains. This was at a stop when I had to add a liner to my jacket:

Entering the Okanagan, we had lunch at Timmy's and shed our warm liners before touring around for a little while, observing all the orchards and vineyards then headed to Vernon, BC, and our campground right on the shore of Swan Lake:
Turned out that was the weekend for the 'Sturgis North' bike rally so we saw a lot of bikes on the road, and heard them well into the night with the HD sound (and sirens) carrying right accross the lake.

The next day was the best riding day I've ever had. I only wish I'd had a GoPro or a passenger to take some pictures because the scenery and the roads were totally awsome. We went from Vernon north through more vineyards and orchards, through the Shuswap lake area to Revelstoke. The lush forests in that area are amazing. After stopping at Revelstoke (Timmy's of course) we headed south to the Galena bay ferry:

continued in next post...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next section of road - Hwy 23 to Nakusp then Hwy 6 to New Denver and Kaslo was phenomenal - full of twisties and fantastic scenery. Can't wait to go back. If anyone is camping at Kaslo BTW, the municipal campground is very nice, and well run:

At the campground we met up with a very nice GWRRA member from Calgary who shared some of his adventures with us.

From Kaslo, we headed south to the Kootenay Bay Ferry:

and then on to Sparwood BC for another night of camping. This one a little more 'woodsy':

That was it for the mountains for this trip. The next day we headed out the Crowsnest Pass to southern Alberta (where I got to test out the ABS when a deer ran out), and Saskatchewan, spending the night in Moose Jaw, SK before arriving at our destination in Manitoba. Big brother is home now and I'll hang around and visit with family for a bit before heading on that long ride home. All in all it was an excellent ride. I only wish that we had more time to stop and look around, and that my wife had come.

Things I learned:
1) Any bike can leak oil. Take some tools.
2) With no passenger, picture opportunities are very limited.
3) Dehydrated meals aren't all that bad.
4) Not all Wyndam hotels/motels readily acknowledge the GWRRA discount
5) Tourmaster mesh/gortex gloves are great in the rain, but too warm on hot days.
6) HD sells A LOT of motorcycles
7) Sena intercoms are great to have with another MC rider. Seems to me the range with the V4 firmware has been extended.
8) Mic-o-pegs are lifesavers.
9) Motels are better than tents.
10) LD Comfort shorts are great. The shirt is nice to have too.
11) An assortment of seat coverings is really helpful to extend distance between stops (gel, beads, sheepskin)
12) Downhill out of the Rockies + strong tailwind = excellent fuel mileage (60mpg Imp/50mpg US - about 4% less really - speedo error)
13) Concours saddlebags hold more than the GW's
14) Cruise control is nice. Really nice.
15) It takes a trip to the mountains to really appreciate how utterly devoid of nice scenery is southern Alberta and Saskatchewan (apologies to anyone living there - no offence, just my opinion).
16) In western Canada, Hwy 16 - the Yellowhead Hwy is in MUCH better condition than Hwy 1 - the TransCanada.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambles. Ride safe,
Kerry

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Awesome pictures Kerry & nice report as well.

Glad you had a great trip.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Great ride report....felt like I was there.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For anyone still interested, this is the google map [/URL]showing the roads.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Thanks for the trip. I feel refreshed and ready to go again...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow very cool trip. Nice pictures, great views. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Beautiful country. Hope to be able to ride up there as well some day. Thanks for the report and pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Super report....I noticed the yellow bag. Is that an Ortlieb?

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
Awesome ride and pictures! Thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Thankyou for your ride report and photos. If only the shutter finger could have had a bigger work out. At this time of the year, what a place to ride. Thankyou again. Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.