Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2012 wing and it's quite a ride! The stealership recommended first maintenance at 600 miles for inspection and oil change. Is that really necessary? Seems a little ridiculous to me. Thanks and ride safe!

·
Registered
223 Posts
and the manual says....?

I have a 2010 and the first service is 4000 miles.....as I remember. Having said that ...I took my bike in for a 600 mile check while on the road ......so what do I know...I tend to be anal about oil changes. (I was not going to do one in a motel parking lot, 10 years ago I would have).
It brings up the countless threads on oil, break ins and general maintenance. THe bottom line is no matter what anyone says on any forum their response is an opinion. based on nothing but there experience. so unless they work for honda, have written the manual done the research and developement on the engine, it is all just fluff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went to the dealer with my 2008 wing to pick up some stuff and while I was there I thought with 580 miles on it I would go ahead and have the first service done. The manager of the service department started laughing and told me to come back when I get 4000 miles on it. Now that was back in 2008 when I first bought it but I went home and reread the manual and it did say about 4000 miles for the first maintaince. I don't know about the new ones though.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
The only thing they will check and change is your bank account balance. Don't do it because you feel you have to for any reason, do it because it makes you happy.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Something I've started doing with my customers regardless of what model bike they buy is I call up the bike specific manual on the computer when we're doing up the paperwork and print the maintenance schedule off for them. Takes about 30 seconds and so far I've had nothing but thankful responses. The warranty booklet leaves much to be desired IMO, and the owners manual can be vague and confusing as well. The Goldwing manual is a huge piece of literary kit (and it's heavy and bulky) but is worth every penny to my way of thinking.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hi budoka I was wondering if you could send that maintenance schedule over to me if you have a moment. I have a 2010 GL1800 Airbag. Thanks in advance. Cam

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 wing and it's quite a ride! The stealership recommended first maintenance at 600 miles for inspection and oil change. Is that really necessary? Seems a little ridiculous to me. Thanks and ride safe!
Don't know about the Wing, but my VTX1300 had a 600mi checkup w/oil change. Something about the engine breaking in and getting rid of metal from wear.

Suggesting the same for a new Wing might just be a dealer caution based on other bikes they sell.

I know when we bought my wife's Burgman scooter and I asked about break-in, the salesperson told her to ride the scooter softly for the first 50 miles and then as hard as she wanted thereafter. That didn't ring quite true, so I checked the manual and sure enough, it was WAY off the way the bike was suppsoed to be brokein in.

When in doubt, consult the owner's manual :)

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I think the 600 mile service is not bad in and of itself. The problem is if they want to charge you for it. They assembled the bike to a point and if they want to check on their work and have you pay for it, well.......... excuse me. I went through the same bologna when I bought my VTX in 06. I didn't even get it out the door before the salesman wanted me to bring it back after 600 miles for a " checkup " and all it would cost me was $175. Kiss my tires and smell my exhaust was all I wanted to say to them. I never looked back and never went back and nothing blew up after 600 miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Like the maestro said, the only thing that will change will be your checking account or credit card balance...

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I was signing my paperwork for my 2010 I was told to bring it back for the first service or my warranty would be void. So what I did was change the oil and filter and diff at 600 miles myself and refilled with Honda oil and kept the receits for my records. Ran that for a couple thousand and drained it and filled with Amsoil and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. I just drained it again after 5000 miles and refilled with Amsoil and took another sample and sent it to Blackstone. So I have records and my warranty is good. I like changing my own oil. I know its done right and what oil is in it. I should be hearing from the Lab anyday now on my sample. Blackstone is very good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Consult your owners manual for the best advice and go from there. Dealer sales people usually deal with several different brands and many different models, and can't be considered experts on specific model service requirements. There are situations that do require oil and filter changes very soon on new equipment, depending on the type oil put in at the factory and engine tolerances. The new 12's may have incorporated some changes in the manufacturing process with the all new factory on the other side of the world--if they do use a special break-oil to seat rings, it needs to come out pretty quick. Follow the manual's service schedule, it doesn't cost much to do an oil change at home compared to your investment.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you want to have a real discussion on engine breakin and oil change one of the most amusing places is the KLR forum....There is a complete "ritual" associated with the antecdotal "break in " process associated with that bike completely independent of what Kawasaki says....its really funny how people have developed their own rationals for things.

·
Registered
691 Posts
When I picked up the new VTX tthey told me about that 600 mile thing. My response was "I'll change oil at 1000 but checking things over and tightening bolts is something that should be done befor I pick it up. However if you insist then you go out and put 600 miles on it, service it out of your pockett then I will take delivery." The check should be done when they assemble the bike. Not later ay your expense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 2012 manual that came with my bike says the first oil change at 4000 and then every 8000 thereafter. The dealer I purchased it at knew this but the dealer near my work where I chose to have it serviced did not. The latter dealer service manager adamantly insisted that I had made a grave mistake. When I pointed out what the manual said (I have read the whole thing) he admitted he had not read the 2012 manual. He also said that regardless of the manual they still wanted to change it at 1500 miles. IMHO this is remnants of petroleum company propaganda from ages past. If the manufacturer of the motor tells you 4000/8000 than anything more than that is your personnal choice and should not be pushed by the dealer unless they preface the statement with the facts.

WeldNut

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2012 manual that came with my bike says the first oil change at 4000 and then every 8000 thereafter. The dealer I purchased it at knew this but the dealer near my work where I chose to have it serviced did not. The latter dealer service manager adamantly insisted that I had made a grave mistake. When I pointed out what the manual said (I have read the whole thing) he admitted he had not read the 2012 manual. He also said that regardless of the manual they still wanted to change it at 1500 miles. IMHO this is remnants of petroleum company propaganda from ages past. If the manufacturer of the motor tells you 4000/8000 than anything more than that is your personnal choice and should not be pushed by the dealer unless they preface the statement with the facts.

WeldNut
I just bought a 2012 model and the dealer told me to bring it back for the break in service at 1000 miles, then he said it's 600 miles.. I don't have the bike yet, so I don't know what the owner's manual says.

If you're saying it says it's 4000 miles, that's great news because I'm taking off on a long trip the day after I get the bike and would rather be riding than trying to find a dealer on the road to change the oil.

I thought an oil change around 600 miles is good practice to purge the oil from metal shavings and other machining particles.. :confused:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My two cents is that as long as you have your first oil chance according to the manual you will be fine. You can always do it more often of course, but unless the manual specifically states to do the first one sooner, I am not concerned about it.
These engines are more like a car engines. Would you even consider changing the oil after 600 or 1,000 miles in a new car?
I will check the oil regularly in my 2012, but I the actual changes will be every 4,000 miles. I just couldn't sleep at night waiting 8,000 in between oil changes.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My service manager said first service at 4000, my dealer mechanic agreed, but did say if I wanted to be nice I could change it earlier:rolleyes:. Torn between old and new school, I opted to go ahead and change both the engine and final drive at 500. Engine oil was very clean, no evidence of metal shavings at all, the final drive was a different matter, black/grey with particles on the drain bolt. Filled it rode around the block a few times drained and refilled. I'll run it to 4000 now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts